Has anyone experienced severe spasms that look like seizures when reducing gabapentin?

Posted , 3 users are following.

On 300mg TDS, reduced over 1 mths to 100mg once day and suffered terrible painful spasms looking like fits.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Eeeek! That's a pretty quick reduction. I was taking 3000mgs a day, and have reduced to 200, over approx 4 months.  You need to talk to a professional. Any kind of spasm or fitting is not to be ignored or sorted out via internet chat room! It may have nothing to do with the Gaba, (though I wouldn't rule it out! Stuff F's with the nervous system for sure!)  Good Luck. Def. go to the doctor a soon as.x

• Posted

Hello Sam I was on 1200mg a day for 3 months and cut down to 1 300mg over a week and then stopped completely because they were giving me really bad panic attacks. One night I woke up about 2 am and I thought I was having a heart attack and ended up fitting on the floor. I ended up at A&E the next morning and that's how I found out they were panic attacks. Ecg and chest xray came back fine and that's how I knew it was all down to the Gabapentin. I've been off it now for 7/8 weeks and their finally starting to reduce now but not totally gone. I struggle every night sleeping still. During the day when I'm active I'm fine, but come night time when I'm settling down ready for bed that's when it happens. For the past 7 weeks it's been awful every single night feeling like I'm having an heart attack. First I can't swallow, then sweaty hands and feet, dizzy spells and then my throat closes and my body begins to panic. I've got use to it now and know not to panic and ride it out, but sometimes it can last the whole night. I would never take that drug again in my life and the docs need to do a lot of research before just handing it out to anyone. For the first 3 months I thought it was great, stopped all the pain in my lower back. But now I would rather be in pain than take that rubbish. Some people are fine on it but it just wasn't for me and since joining this group I found I wasn't the only one. It's put me off taking any tablet in the future and im going to have to live with the pain for the rest of my life, but like I said I would rather be in pain than suffer like I was. Hope this helps and you get well soon.

• Posted

Thanks for replying.. It's actually my 13yr old daughter. we did take her to A+E as the spasms looked terrible, it was suggested they were either a response to chronic pain or due to weaning the gabapentin. They have reduced from every 10-20 mins to just 5-6 a day with going back up to 200mg bd. Plan from neurologist is to go back to the 300mg TDS over next 10days. If they r still happening they will add in clobazam, but I just want her off it.

• Posted

I feel for your daughter at 13 to be going through that, i'm 37 and it scared me enough to go A&E. I've felt back to normal in myself since stopping them, it's took 8 weeks though. Hope your daughter gets sorted soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.