Has anyone experienced this?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

First post here...  I am 53 Male and had total hip replacement 6.5 weeks ago on right hip.   I have hip displaysia and moderate arthritus , but pain in right leg had gotten so bad I elected to have the surgery.  The surgery was the anterior approach, so recouperation has been great and the new hip feels very good.  However, starting about 3 weeks ago my other  hip started really hurting.  It is now so bad I can barely walk around.  

The right leg was 3/8 inch shorter than left - so when they did the surgery on the right  they lengthened the right side to make them equal.  I'm thinking this is what is causing the left side to hurt so much now.  The whole hip dynamic and weight distributin has changed.  I can't think of any other reason.  I have been riding the recumbant bike at the gym and that feels fine but I cant walk on the treadmill because of pain.  It is so bad now I cant stand more than a few minutes without the pain starting and I cant even walk out to the mailbox without a prominant limp and shooting pain throughout my left hip. Hip flexor is weak and the center of most of the pain.

I'm hoping to hear of others who experienced this.  Thanks!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Shooting pain is often more consistent with nerves. And nerve pain can also hurt in places other than where the nerve damage is - typically the hip, knee and lower leg or foot. I have heard on here of instances where nerves have been damaged by the surgery - it is in the small print you signed as one of the risks! 

If you haven't spoken to your doctors, then you should do so. Sooner rather than later if it is that bad. Although nothing to do with the hip, I have had neuropathic pain from nerves in the spine which is exactly what you describe here - although that doesn't mean it's the same thing.

• Posted

Hi Rob, I am sure that you were Xrayed on both sides, but if not, and things like the obvious do so often get missed by the expertsd, perhaps the other side needs doing as well, hope you get this resolved soon too please keep us all up to date with the findings, we all have to know, I have had both sides replaced and suffering with my left once strong side.
    • Posted

I always knew I would of eventually have my oother side (left) done, but it didnt feel anywhere near this bad a few months ago before I had th eright side done.  I just have a hard time thinking this is my body adjusting to the new weight distibution and it will eventually get better.  But that's probably wishful thinking. sad

• Posted

Hi im42 I don't want to put a dampener on things but I had a rthr Feb 16 going in knowing at some stage my other needed fixing to I thought I may have got a couple of years but no straight away within wks it was really hurting I ended up it locked on me twice which resulted with an ambulance going to a and e give me morphine, anyway went back to hospital oct the difference in the X Ray from Feb was massive it had deteriorated a hell of a lot I then had a lthr Dec 28th maybe just bite the bullet and her it done

• Posted

Hi, for approx 4 months before my op on 22 Sep and up to Xmas/NY I had excruciating back in my right unoperated hip caused by tendonitis. I couldn't lift my right leg high enough to climb stairs and driving before the op was very painful. If it is tendonitis you will need to rest it as exercises will just make it worse. I"m just starting to do exercises now and still get some soreness in right groin. 🚵

• Posted

hi rob, 

warm welcome to thie hippies forum where we share our personal experiences and stories -

did you have your follow up appointment yet? usually takes place around 6 weeks post-op - a new xray from both hips will tell the surgeon if hardware is placed correclty and healing accordingly ..

it is not unusual that pain develops in opposite hip - 

could very well be that the change in length of leg causes this pain or, as said, maybe the opposite hip needs surgery as well ..

If your pain is so bad that you cannot stand on leg , I would see my surgeon as soon as possible ...

let us know how you are getting on, okay

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

than you Renee...I have had my follow up appt and everything with the new hip is healing well. the left hip is not always sore....for instance in the morning its not so bad. But if I were to walk 50 yds I would be crippled.
  • Posted

I had the same thing - the pain in my left hip was far worse than any of the surgery pain in the right hip - I felt like crying, having only just got one sorted out, I really didn't want the other one done straight away. I could think of nothing but the pain, and for a while it hindered my recovery.

However, in my case, the pain passed. As my walking became straighter and the limp ceased, so did the pain in my other hip. I am not suggesting it is the same for you, but more of a way to reassure you that it might be okay. I was all set to go and get the other one done (having lost all patience with being in pain so much!) but held off, and I am glad I did as it has got so much better now. I am hundred per cent sure my other hip was struggling due to the pressure it was under, and bad posture etc. I do have quite a lot of wear and tear in my non operated hip, but not enough to cause so much discomfort.

If I were you, get the non operated hip xrayed and checked - you will then at least know what you are dealing with. If it is something else you will find out, and adjust your recovery accordingly. Wait for at least six - eight week to see if it eases off on its own, in the meantime try and massage the leg and hip - if it is nerves this might help. 

Please let us know how you get on, I am sure others will be following with interest 

• Posted

That is good news...that gives me some hope... thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.