Has anyone found good replacement for Half Inderal LA

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had been on half inderal la 80mgs for 8 years. They stopped being made. They were good quality and lasted full 24hrs.

Since stopping them I tried beta-prograne 80mgs but they were too strong to start with but wore off as the day went on leaving me waking up with palpitations, banging heart in the middle of the night. Tried 3 others, fast acting propranolol, bisoprolol 5mg and bisoprolol 1.25mg.

Felt I'll on all the replacements.

Had anyone found another beta blocker which works as well as Inderal La.

I haven't taken any beta blocker now for 8 weeks and my whole body seems to be in an anxious fight or flight mode!!!! Horubble physical symptoms. Hot flushes, cold chills, losing sensation in arms and legs, sort of dizzy head, banging heart, sweat profusely from head aftet exertion.

Was put on the Inderal for aura migraines...... Not anxiety symptoms but my body is now a mess.

Can anyone suggest one that works as well as Inderal.

HELP.....I AM VERY DESPERATE NOW.

Verging on depression as now getting very tearful due to how awful my body feels.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rx I feel the same- sweats, anxiety, body feels awful, very unwell. Taking propanolol but makes me feel ill and doesn't help much. Only taking that because of side/after effects of horrible anti-depressants. Only taking them for insomnia. Still sleepless. I hope you feel better Gx
    • Posted

Aaww. Feel better soon. Are you taking the fast acting 10mg propranolol?

I couldn't take them at all. Within an hour of taking them I would feel awful

• Posted

Doc gave me 40mg propanol. To replace amitriptyline. Yes makes me feel awful. I was begging for some Valium (diazepam) she said no- too addictive. Oh yeah like anti-depressants are not addictive x
  • Posted

Terracotta brick red colour
    • Posted

I think they're the fast acting one's. God if they are that's a big dose to take all at once.

I couldn't even take 10mg of them fact acting ones x

• Posted

I take 80mgs of slow release Bedranol another propranolol made by Sandoz. I've also taken beta prograne depending on which chemist I go to. I was also prescribed half inderal but all chemist tell they have been discontinued, AstraZeneca made them. TBH I haven't found any difference between any of them they are all the same drug just different manufacturers. Good luck.

Also it can be dangerous to go cold turkey so I would go to GP asap

X

• Posted

Hello Tezes

Well I took beta-prograne as the replacement but as I saud it seemed to drop a load of propranolol into me quite soon after I took it which macrame feel unwell for several hours. Then it wore off a bit so I started feeling ok. Then during the night I was waking up to banging heart.

Both my Gp and pharmacist said it was because this beta-prograne had inferior coatings in it and therefore being absorbed differently, not at the steady rate Inderal did.

The pharmacist said the coatings in Inderal were far superior to beta-prograne and much, much cheaper to produce.

I phoned AstraZenica who confirmed discontinuation due to bring so expensive compared to generics.

Like I said in my post, because three alternative ones didn't work well for me my Gp said to bite the bullet and just stop..... So I did this under his instructions.

He said to expect a bumpy ride for a while. But 8 weeks later I am still having symptoms bad..... Considering I'd never had anxiety before stopping and had no idea it affected yoyr whole body I am getting very distressed over it.

Gp said the reason I am feeling anxious is because the receptors are now super sensitive to the adrenaline which had been blocked while on the beta blocker.

Soooo, my question is....... HAS ANYONE FOUND A REPLACEMENT BETA BLOCKET THAT IS AS EFFECTIVE AS INDERAL LA

• Posted

You could try Bedranol slow release that's what I take it seems fine. I take it after breakfast without side effects,

if if you take for migraine then there's lots of Meds to try for prevention,

good luck 

also google tapering off propranolol, good advice on that med site

• Posted

Hi Tezes

Did you ever take inderal to be able to have a comparison to?

I just couldn't tolerate the beta-prograne. It shot too much into me too quickly then left me with nothing during the night.

It's too late to wean off. I've been off 8 Wrays now.

As I said before, tried three different ones but they didn't suit me.

• Posted

I took half inderal before they were discontinued I find the Bedranol better than beta prograne. 
    • Posted

How long were you on the Inderal before they discontinued?

In what way do you find bedranol better than beta-prograne? Did you find beta-prograne do give more to start with?

Why are you on beta blocker if that's not too personal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.