Has anyone had 1st metatarsal and akin osteotomy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has had 1st metatarsal and akin osteotomy like I've had. I just wanted to know if its painful when you start walking on your foot properly. At the moment I'm still in bandage till next friday and walking on my heel. As soon my whole foot touches the floor I can feel pain straight away. I'm hoping that when I do start walking on it properly the pain won't last for so long😯

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

This is week 7 for me, and i am starting to feel more normal. i still walk to the side a bit, but i think it's in my head that i have to protect my toe. I think a couple more weeks and all will be good. I have had very little pain thru the entire surgery

• Posted

i believe so? I am still walking on the side of my foot as well, but there isnt any pain
    • Posted

Are you still walking with the hospital shoe inside the house or are you okay just with socks?
    • Posted

i am in a shoe now, it is different, but i think my mind is not letting me walk right, at least i hope it's in my head

• Posted

So you are okay walking with just socks in the house?

I know what you mean though because you just automatically put your foot down like that ...because you've done it for so long and maybe because you're scared of feeling pain 😞

• Posted

If i walk in socks i get little zings in my foot, and the bottom hurts in socks
    • Posted

Yes I can imagine.

When my foot touches the floor with my bandage on right now I can feel pain so I'm not surprised.

Hopefully it'll all settle with time.

Thanks x

• Posted

it will, it was almost over night that mine started to feel better. i am 70% healed, so a couple weeks i am hoping all is normal
  • Posted

Hi Jazzy

I'm totally shocked that you're not wearing a surgical boot after having this operation. I had the same done over a year ago and wore the surgical boot 24/7 (Yes even to bed) which supported my foot whilst walking. Also I was on crutches. I tried putting my foot on the ground without the boot which caused severe pain, and when I mentioned it to my surgeon, he said I was rather stupid for doing so because it could easily have caused more damage to my foot. Please take care and whatever you do, don't put your foot flat to the ground for 6-8 weeks and use crutches giving you support. Your surgeon must have had rocks in his head for not supplying you with a surgical boot. WOW!!! Can you please tell me which country you're from? I'm from Sydney, Australia. Good luck Jazzy!

• Posted

Hi goanna

Sorry for delay in replying. No you probably misunderstood. .I do have a surgical boot to wear it's just that when I just go in the kitchen I really can't be bothered to put shoe on and put the strap on etc...so I just walk on my heal but I actually took the bandage off on Friday and feels so good. Doesn't hurt as much as I thought. Still wearing boot with socks (most of the time😏wink. I have an xray on Friday so will know more about the whole healing process.

By the way I'm from the uk. Bolton in Lancashire.

• Posted

Hi,

Well i have to say this week is better, i think i might need an insert though, i keep walking on the side of my foot, it feels like my toe is higher then the rest of my foot. and it is making my back hurt

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.