Has anyone had another fusion after having one before?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a fusion of my L4-L5 6 years ago and now I have severe disc diccation and loss of disc space at L5 and severe L3-L4 degenerative central stenosis. I can not walk or stand for any period of time beyond 15-20 minutes depending on the day and basically live on Tramadol and Ibuprofen. I am scheduled to see a surgeon, DR. Cuddy, in Charolette, SC in September. What will be my outcome is what I am asking? Worried and hopeful he has something to offer when I have had a previous fusion? Any thoughts or similiar cases would help ease my mind!

Kindest Regards to all who suffer with back pain!

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Thomas ~

I have fusion originally at the L4-S1 in 2004 and in 2009, I needed to have L2 &3 fused.  They took the L4 apart so they could secure the L2 & 3 to the L4.  That operation by far was easier than the first operation in 2004.  Personally, I hear you and know where you're coming from because I was afraid I would be as bad as I was with the original surgery.  I can only say what I felt and had I known what I know now, I wouldn't have been as afraid to have that surgery.  It healed fine.  I still have issues but none from the surgery.

I hope you get the answers you need to move forward with this surgery.  You will feel much better in the long run.  There was some pain but nothing with the surgery but nothing like the original or maybe I was aware of how painful the first fusion was and was prepared mentally for it to be as bad.  

Good luck and I wish you well soon!

Warm regards,

Frustrated

• Posted

Thank for your words of encouragement! I feel very alone at times with my back problems having noone to relate to. Actually My first surgery was awesome and did exactly what it was supposed to, so I am hoping the results will be good this time as well. I have been unable to walk for more then fifteen minutes for over a year without my right leg and hip making me want to sit down. Thank goodness sitting does not cause pain but just the opposite. Kindest regards, Tom
    • Posted

Thomas , i had a fusion done on L4 S1 in Aug 2014 and i am now experiencing pain in the right hip area as well as the left ,which it was supposed to heal ,they told me that i would have to learn how to live with the pain !!!!!!! ,if i could do that, there would have been no need for the whole debacle in the 1st place ,unbelievable ,if you dare question their methods they seem to take as a personal insult to their professional know how ,i am now back on the morphine patches and nerve numbing Gabapentin tablets ,i think they just use us like guinea pigs to try out their procedures ,just my opinion but hey ,i'm the one with the pain ,i really hope you find a way through this ,i sympathise with you for the pain you are in ,but its hard to make someone understand just how painful it is ,we know .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.