Has anyone had ETC for bi polar

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I wonder if anyone has had ECT for bi polar. I really can't tolerate antipsychotics due to side effects and wonder if I should give ETC ago. Has anybody any experience of this?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise 79427:

I had 10 ECT therapies. They didn't worked at all (in my case). My bipolar disorder I now is considered chronic. I was diagnosed at 15 and i'm 29. Since pharmacotherapy didnt worked nor ECT's.

But remember every case is different. Consult your doubts and worries with your mental health professional (specially a psychiatrist).

Get well soon, Wanda

• Posted

Hi Wanda

Thanks for replying, am fed up with anti psychotic and wondered if there is an alternative.

What do you take?

Lou x

• Posted

Hi Lou

I have had ECT is was to treat severe depression, it was life saver for me......I wouldn't suggest you "give it a go" but consider it v carefully as it does have side effects of memory loss over time. It is compared to re-booting a computer.  As I say it worked for me then I was treated with anti depressants and lithuim which work well. 

Hope that helps .  Good luck smile

• Posted

Good Morning Lou:

Hope you feel better today! Now I'm taking Latuda (antipsychotic/mood stabilizer), Lithium (Mood Stabilizer), Wellbutrin XL, Prozac (both anti-depressants), Desyrel (Anti-depressant/hypnotic) and Klonopin (anxyolitic).

I also agree with Joe with the memory loss but, I must say: "Why don't try something that COULD help our healtk and life quality?" I did. I didn't function but, it does for many people. Like Joe.

Have a beautiful day!

• Posted

Hey Wanda

How do you find being on the antipsychotic? I can't stand the zombie like thing and the restless legs you get on them.

Have a good day.

Lou x

• Posted

Hello Lou:

Ive been in many antipsychotics since my diagnosis. The one that i'm using now (Latuda) isn't working even though the psychiatrist increased the dosis twice in two months. So is not working for me.

I was a lot of time on Abilify and it functioned very well on me.

Hope my experience could help you in some way.

XOXO, Wanda

• Posted

Thanks Wanda, might try aripiprazole next as I have heard it has less side effects than rispiridone.
  • Posted

Your welcome Lou! Look for info at drugs.com. Its a FDA approved website.  It has a lot of tools and info.

By the way, Aripripazole y Risperidone are very similar but, Abilify (aripripazole) has been proven as a mood stabilizer as well. Its a very very good med.

• Posted

Hi Louise

I have Bipolar 2, and about three years ago, i had a terible episode...ended up in the clinic where i stayed for 3 weeks. Because of the severety of my case they gave me ECT. I went every second day. It is a hell off a thing to undergo but i felt that it helped me a lot. ECT is for severe cases where there is no alternative. I would rather suggest that you stay on your meds. What are you taking currently?

• Posted

Hey Lily, am taking lithium and citalopram at moment. Been off rispirdone for 4 months, but dunno how long I can last off them. What meds you on? Am really meds sensitive and have horrible time on anti psychotics.
  • Posted

Hi Louise

Sorry for replying only now, I was in hospital for another round of ECT'S. For me the ECT'S works well.

I am seeing another physciatrist as my old one did not have or wanted to make 10 min available for me...been seeing her for a year and when i lost it, see just did not care. Hence me ending up in hospital.

I used to take Epilim 500mg bd and Seroqoul 25mg in morning and 400mg at night. Now i am on totally different meds. Geodon and Molipaxin.... still in a very mania stage combined with 'n mixed episode. The meds is taking it's time to work...totally frustrated by this as i am not sleeping well, and have the most terrible dreams, that i actually sleep with a light on (and i am 42...eish). I hear voices and i feel the pressance of a person, i feel them thouching me and then they just become one with my body...not cool at all. But i will be brave and hold on as i need to take meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.