has anyone had steroid injections for plantar fasciitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

i was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis a month ago. had to do exercises but they havent worked.  im having steroid injections in 2 days and wan to know what to expect

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes I had a cortizone shot

I had relief for about 2 weeks

Now the pain is back

Manageable but still hurts

I have to force myself to do stretches

See if can get rid of it

I might get the special insole from the podiatrist but it's 400 bucks

You might have better luck with the shot

• Posted

cheers for your reply...did the injections hurt..i hate pain. or did you have pain relief. im thinking about buyig the boot to wwear at night
    • Posted

I could lie to you and say it doesn't

But it hurts

I think it's worth it not to have pain for While

It's not a cure it just reduces inflammation

After you get the shot keep up on the stretches

I tried the niteboot but made my toes numb

You'll have to stretch before you get out of bed

It's a pain in the ass

• Posted

dont know how old you are but i decided i'd try and do everything else first before resorting to injections and it worked... completely pain free now... 

1. froze the ice things you put round champagne bottles and sat with them covering on my feet for some hours till i half froze. That worked real well. 

2. aid the 400 quid for the special insoles but they just made it worse and gave up on them and bought some Sketchers go Walk (fantastic)

3. pretty much rested as much as possible for couple of weeks and took up swimming 

4. Gave up on stretches - swimming and pushing the water with your feet sorts it out much better (at least it did for me) as nn weight bearing

5. Lost weight and changed diet - make sure you get enough vits and mins fruit & veg and fish to enabel the body to fight the inflammation. 

To be honest i did not expect the above to work but it did, really quickly. Was in pain for 7months with PF then achiles tendonitis and all sorts of other foot and ankle pains (after borken leg) but it all went in about 4 weeks without any jabs. PF went almost overnight having frozen it  and diet and swiming.   Just needed a lot of determination to get rid of it really and to eat the right stuff.   I just decided i wanted to try everythign else first before the jabs but does require you to do the work (easier to have a jab but i could not see how they corrected the original issue). Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi there, I'm seeing so many posts about steroid injections on here lately. I would avoid them as they aren't always effective and have been proven to weaken ligaments over time. I have acute PF in both feet. It took 18 months to clear 100% but I am now totally free of pain and can run freely again. PF is not a quick injury to heal, there are Jo quick fixes. Be patient and kind to your feet and avoid injections unless absolutely necessary. The doctors dish this out FAR too freely. X
  • Posted

I had one full steroid jab and a booster - worked for me and no trouble since. Do wear shock absorbing shoes indoors as well as out especially if you have hard floors. Skechers go - walk 3 are good. I also use shock absorbing insoles. Tried an overnight boot - very cumbersome and I returned it. Good luck.
  • Posted

Personally I would do the injection

Then get back on the stretches

Mine is painless today

It's a weird ailment

• Posted

thanks for your replies. i spoke to my gp and discussed what was best. i had the injection and it wasnt as bad as i thought..now im waiting for a referal appoitment to the hospital or insoles in my shoes. went and bought myself a pair of sketchers today. pain went straight away when i walked in them..
    • Posted

I had the injection it seem to come back

Now after a month or so it seems to be getting real better only a little pain

I would just get inserts and buy a golf ball to roll under you foot once a day

That seems to loosen it up

• Posted

Sorry can't help with this but I hope you had a successful treatment.  It must have been frightening to go through that.  I had an operation on one foot and am waiting for the other foot to be done soon.  Let us know how you got on with the injections.  Hopefully you will answer others questions and worries.  I wish I had seen this earlier so I could have wished you luck. 
  • Posted

Thanks..well. 2 days of pain which I thought was from the needle..now I have the pain back..didn't seem to work for me the steroids. Hoping to get my appointment for insoles ASAP. Fed up of it. I also think it's on my other foot..The only time I'm not in pain is when I wear my new sketches..hmmm. what next
    • Posted

I thought mine was on its way out

I can walk alright little pain

But it's sore on the tendon even more now

Not sure what to do , probably back to doc for 400 insoles

What a hassle

This is interfering with work

• Posted

Hi,  I wear Berkinstock shoes which help my pain.  Can't wait for the next op all though there is no guarantee this will work either.  You must rest your foot to get the best results.  Think inflamation and calming things.  I even try antihistamines when mine is really bad.  They seem to help calm things down or maybe it is a bit of a placebo effect.  I think any shoes that support you arch will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.