Has anyone had stones in bile duct after gallbladder removed?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My Gallbladder was removed in 2010 as I had gallstones.  This followed major abdominal surgery to removed a large tumor on the upper wall of my stomach in 2007.    I was told back in 2010 that with the removal of the gallbladder and part of my stomach that I may have problems in the future.    For the past 8-10 months, I have had pain under the brestbone and down the right side again, have been frewquently sick and have had very soft stools/diarrhea.   A blood test 2 weeks ago showed very high increases in the liver functions, and concerns were raised that my tumor had re-developed.   I have been to see my dr again today, as I am reaaly unwell and have been vomitting for past 48 hours.   He now thinks that all my symptoms are related to me having another stone, but this time in the bile duct.  Has anyone else had bile stones after having their gallbladder removed? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Wow, I really didn't know stones can come back after the gallbladder is removed. 

Crap, I'm having surgery at the end of the month, thinking I m going to be brand new.

Let us know Karen if that is true. Are they going to do more tests soon? Because I hear if one does get stuck, it's very painful and you can turn yellow because liver not working right. Keep checking your eyes to see if you have any yellow.

Hope they get this figured out soon, so you can feel better.

Gail

• Posted

Hi Gail, I too had no idea that this could happen until today, but I can't find out any information on how it happens, which suggests it's not normal.   I was told prior to my surgery that I would have to be careful as I had previously had part of my stomach removed, which made it even harder for me to digest food.  For a few months after the gallbladder was taken out, I had a problem called 'dumping syndrome' which meant food was not breaking down and being absorbed, but going straight through me.  Thankfully this improved and I felt fine for a long time.  Why this has now happened, I hoped someone could shed some light on it for me.  Good luck with your surgery, it will make a huge difference to you.  
    • Posted

Karen,

Now I just learned something new. I had that "Dump syndrome " for about 3 months then it just stopped and then the attacks got worse and closer together. Thanks for your help

Gail

• Posted

Karen, the gallbladder of my wife was remove around 4 months ago. She had an Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatogram (ERCP) back then prior to the gallbladder removal. Last week she felt really bad and it turned out she had more stones. Today our doctor removed those stones but they were suprised because she didn't have one or two stones, she had a LOT of stones and doctor couldn't explain to me why this happened, specially in a very short time span. He told me there is a treatment to help to prevent this to happen again. So from what I see there are few people that suffer from this weird condition..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.