Has anyone had successful surgery for Mortons Neuroma?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had surgery to remove 2 neuromas. I am now 9 weeks post op and still absolutely miserable. The pain and discomfort I have now are a thousand times worse than pre op. Has anyone had success with this surgery? If so how long did it take for full recovery?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi.  i feel for you.I had an op. over 2 years ago.  true the neuroma has gone but I have been left with much more pain than before and I am sure the surgeon has done damage that cannot be put right. I think I was better off with the neuroma. it was painful but not all the time.  now I am kept awake at night by throbbing pain in my foot and I cannot bear any sort of pressure from shoes, bedclothes etc. I hope you have more luck!

• Posted

Hello!

I am currently 2 weeks post-op and feel fantastic. My surgery went great and so far recovery has been wonderful. I am 25 years old and LOVE running. I didn't have pain from my neruoma when doing normal walking it was only when I ran. I tried all different types of treatment to avoid surgery but nothing worked. I really wanted to avoid surgery and tried other forms of exersie but nothing felt close to what I felt when I ran. 

I had the surgery and given a freezeing that would last a few days (which it did). I was also given tylenol 3 with codiene which did not agree with me. I had to go back to the hospital the next day from a recation. I was then only allowed to have an anti-inflam and extra strength tylenol. Thankfully, I felt no pain. However, there was a lot of swelling when I walked too much. It really is important to elevate your foot above your heart. Also, use ice!!! Worked wonders. 

At my first post op visit they took of the bandanges they put on during the surgery. I had stitches and 10 staples on the top of my foot. Nothing big, about the size on my pinky. I have lost feeling in my 4th toe but doesnt bother me. I asked to loose the walking boot. I hated it. It made it difficult to walk for my other leg and hips. It was a few inches taller which threw my allignment off. I ended up using a sporting sandle from under armour that had some padding. Much better!

I'm 2 days away from getting the staples and stiches out! yay!! Going to do a couple of physio appts to get my alligement and walking back in order. My toes don't fully touch the ground yet when I place my foot on the floor. Swelling is only happening at the bottom of my foot near the toes. Nothing at the top where the incision is. 

My walking is getting better. I am able to put some weight at the top of my foot. Don't have to elevate as often and done taking the pain meds.

Overall, this surgery was extremely successfull. No pain at all!

• Posted

Thanks for your detailed response. I am pleased that your op was a success. I also had that boot which I used for 2 weeks. But for 2 weeks I literally only got up to go to the bathroom. I lay flat with my foot elevated for 2 full weeks. I don't have much swelling. But my middle toe is totally numb, the 2 adjoining toes are numb along the inside, the ball of my foot is numb and my foot feels very stiff and tight. It almost feels as though my skin is too small for my foot. I also have shooting pains along the ball of my foot and along the top of the base of my last 3 toes when I walk. I have a feeling of pressure across the top of my foot, almost as if my foot is being crushed. I am aware of discomfort in my foot every waking moment. I have been having physiotherapy twice a week for the last 7 weeks and have made very little progress. I am so despondent. It seems as though this op has been an epic failure.
    • Posted

How's your progress after nearly a year? I've been diagnosed neruoma and about to start with the shots here in the next few days, After reading such horror stories, Yours seems to be one with a happy ending.

• Posted

Hello Yaffa

It's 28th Dec 2016. I am almost 4 weeks post op and I am experiencing the same symptoms as you described in your post over a year ago. I also had 2 neuromas removed (left foot between 2nd/3rd toe and 3rd/4th toe). I have all the numbness as you describe, the tightness and crushing sensation and the shooting electric shock type pains. I am wondering how you are doing now and if any of these symptoms have improved or gone for you? I am particularly concerned about the tightness and crushing sensation, and the numbness to the ball of foot because it feels like I am walking on marbles when I weight bear to the front of my foot. Please update on your progress after the 9 weeks stage of your original post. Thank you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.