Has anyone had these symptoms please ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi does anyone have these symptoms and how do you cope please ? I have suffered with various indigestion symtoms of indigestion for a long time, it seems to come and go and i am awaiting an endoscope. When it flares up it seems to start soon after eating my breakfast cereal. I get an uncomfortable slightly bloated feeling like my breakfast is just sat there. By lunchtime i can feel slight burning and some burping which seems to help relieve some of pressure from stomach. This can last all day on and off, but sometimes i get slight pain/discomfort in chest and inbetween shoulder blades in my back. I now also get a feeling of a lump in throat and feel the need to keep swallowing which is really annoying.  The reason my doctor is finally sending for the endoscope is i sometimes get sharp chest pains which frighten me and ecg always comes back ok. I find bending forwards to pick something up makes pains worse so anything like gardening is out. I did try a ppi but after a week got visual disturbance and went A&E and was told to stop them as it was listed in side effects. So i try to cope using a variety of antacids. My doctor said to try ranitadine but not taken any yet as from what i have read on here if you are going to have an endoscope you should not take it for the 2 weeks prior to the endoscope. Over the years my indigestion has got worse so want some answers from the hospital now as it makes life difficult. I do know some foods seem to trigger it, cereal ? , salad, cream, fatty foods, chocolate etc so i try to avoid but do slip up especially if i have had a good couple of days. If anyone has had same symptoms it would be great to know how you cope and if anything cures or helps it thanks

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Change your breakfast cereal. Is it corn flakes? They always had that effect on me.
    • Posted

Hi Derek, i have the fruit n fibre cereal for breakfast i might try just toast tomorrow,  
    • Posted

I've had your symptoms for many years and have long since stopped thinking that they are cardiac in origin. Although I have had a heart valve replaced and recently had a pacemaker fitted.

I said cornflakes as they once gave me the worst indigestion that mimiced a heart attack ever. It was so bad that I phoned my GP who panicked and told me to dial 999 and I ended up being sent from A&E to a cardiac ward for four days having tests and a stress ECG.

• Posted

Thanks for reply derek76, i had scrambled egg on toast for breakfast and was fine this morning but could just have been a good day. Had some discomfort this evening though. I am trying hard to convince myself the pains are just indigestion.
    • Posted

Charcoal tablets are good for gas but can interfere with the way some medications work.
    • Posted

See what happens if you just have an all fruit breakast. I do this daily with zero problems. Worth a bash and quite pleasant and healthy.
  • Posted

Sounds like gas build up. Anything with fiber in it is sure to give you gas. Have you tried any gas relieving tablets?
    • Posted

Thanks yes it does seem like gas build up as it usually eases if i can burp to relieve pressure. I have tried windease  which can help, its really a case of convincing myself it gas not heart causing pain. Just wish i could find out what is causing it.
    • Posted

Frances try getting your partner to burp you when this happens again. Almost instant relief.
  • Posted

Hi 

I have suffered from all that you mention including sharp pain in chest I had to go for ecg treadmill which I survived this ruled out angina and heart probs . I take omerprazole 20mg twice per day I still have pain/discomfort in middle of chest especially if bending forward I have pain in neck by Adams apple more so if I look down always feels like right side of my neck is swollen I'm told these are usual to expect with reflux , like you I feel I need a camera and full chest X-ray to put my mind at rest . I still eat things I shouldn't but you do get used to the discomfort ..

• Posted

Hi John, the pains are really scary especially if they differ from ones you usually have. Some of mine have changed over the years and i also have had pains in one side of neck. Although i am not looking forward to the endoscope and will be opting for sedation i am hoping it will give me the answer as to what is wrong so i can get the right treatment for it. I try to avoid or limit foods which i know can trigger it but if i have a good few days its easy to risk it and eat the wrong foods.
  • Posted

I had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with an hiatus hernia twelve years ago.

And yes I also get terrible chest pains and was admitted for a check up only to be told that the pains were gastric related.

I now take Lansoprazole 30mg first thing in the morning half hour or so before a meal.

I still occasionally get the chest pain, but I find taking a drink of hot water, instantly takes the pain away.

• Posted

Excuse the spelling i havent my glasses, i meant to say i have had three endoscophys over the time!
    • Posted

I'm glad of that..... I thought that you had been drinking:-)

• Posted

Dear Frances an endoscophy is the best answer, i have bad three over the tome as you said best with sedation. Although did have one without, it is over with fairly quickly and is the best thing to see what is going on. I once had oesophagitis and gastitis which can cause these shmptoms and certain foods can makes things worse, they also seem to take a while to clear up!
    • Posted

Hi thanks i have just got an appointment for an endoscope on the 13th of this month, i am really dreading it. How did you feel after sedation, did it have any side effects ?
    • Posted

No effects after sedation really i came round fairly quickly after, try not to worry with sedation you wont know anything about it, i had it once only with tablets from the doctor to calm me, as the hospital there didnt offer sedatio, but even then it wasnt as bad as i thought, abit uncomfortable i suppose. It is the best thing to have though to have a good look.
    • Posted

Thank you, it helps know others have had it with no problems. I am trying not tp think about it until nearer the time lol x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.