Has anyone has a unborn diagnosed with scoliosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 23 weeks pregnant and have been told my baby has a hemivertabra at the bottom of its back.

The doctors cannot give me much information they say they won't be able to tell me much until after baby is born.

All the information I have found is when people have been diagnosed at an older age or have a curve in the middle or top of the back

I was wondering if there is anyone who has been in the same position or has the condition at the bottom of their back and could give me some more info

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Amy. For me I was not diagnosed with scoliosis until now. The problem has always been there since I was born, and the doctors put me in plaster because my hips were not in line. But low and behold they didn't bother to investigate any further than this! So now at 50 the doctors have now diagnosed me with lower back scoliosis, with my left foot 1 cm shorter than my right foot. So my pelvis isn't straight. I have gone back to wearing a heeled shoe and find it more bearable. I have just started classes with easy exercises and the breathing techniques are very good. I will write more on posts as my classes progress. So everyone can see that it's starting to make a difference to me. I also have to do the exercises at home aswell. My mother had this condition, so I was mis diagnosed so there you go. Anyway any questions you have for me ask me okay if I can answer them I will do. But this website Is really good anyway. Take care X
  • Posted

I have this problem and the doctors failed to spot it while my mom was pregnant with me. It wasn't found untill I was 13, I urge you to make sure the doctors do something as soon as your child is born. I've been left in this mess for 4 years and each day is more painful than the last
  • Posted

Hi there

I have had my back problem since I can remember

I have been back wards and forwards to the doctors with it.

And now years later I have the diagnosis, after seeing an osteopath that I have scoliosis in my lower back, with some arthritis.

My mother had it when she was alive, all her life.

So I obviously inherited it too.

I am waiting to see the back pain consultant.

I am going to have a spinal block, which means an injection in my back, to free up more movement in my lower back.

Apparantly it doesn't always work the first time.

My friend had it done, and found that the second time worked.

They do radio therapy aswell.

Anyway since he's had it done, he hardly has any problems now, since he's had the treatment. 

So there is hope.😊

• Posted

Yes! Me!!

I was put into plaster as a baby!

They didnt know much about the condition when I was born in the 60s!

I have been to an osteopath, and that is when I got a proper diagnosis of scoliosis.

My mother had it. They didnt think that was what I had.but anyway today I had a painful spinal branch medial block, done on my lower back.

I had therapy previous to that for pain management. They told me that I could try injections, to see if that would work.

Well I had six injections today, not a nice experience, but I feel better this evening.

But that's life I guess. Either put up with it or do something about it. So I did. I hope this has worked. I have had restriction on myomere back before this today, plus my left leg is 1 cm shorter than my right leg also.

But I just hope this has been beneficial to me, in the long run. They can't guarantee it. But lets hope so. My back is not bad enough for corrective surgery, so this was the next best thing for me.

They can do other things, there is radio frequency with more injections. Il think il give it a miss!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.