Has anyone heard of a non reunion?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 12 weeks post op after bunion surgery. I'm still having throbbing pain like electric shocks in my big toe and aching on top of foot with swelling where one of the pins are. I did some research and found non reunion whereby the bone isn't healing as should. Does anyone know about this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Stop reading about stuff and call your surgeon for an appt so he can decide what is causing you so much pain
    • Posted

The hospital brought my next appointment forward to next week. Just thought I'd enquire in the meantime. Thanks
  • Posted

I have not read about this but I would definitely call the doctor on this one.
    • Posted

Thank you for your message. Saw a doctor on Thursday and he put me on anti biotics (again) and ordered an x-ray. Go back to get results in the morning with a follow up with my surgeon next Monday. So will see. The thing is from my experience is that you have the surgery and sent away with very little instructions. I have read other people's posts regarding having to exercise their big toe. I wasn't told this. I felt I'd been left in limbo.
    • Posted

Hi Sharon. Could not agree more. I had my surgery. One week later had the bandages removed, another week later had the stitches out and was then sent away for 6 MONTHS?? At week 5 I asked to see my surgeon as I could not walk without my crutches. He said everything looked fine and I might be back at work in another 3 weeks. I am now at week 10 and still can't walk far at all. I feel that I was given very little information and that the information I was given was grossly underestimated.
    • Posted

Hi Pauline. So good to hear from someone in the same boat to say! When I was around week 6 and still on crutches my friend dropped me in the driveway to the hospital and as I was walking my foot just stopped on me. The pain was so excruciating that I could not walk and felt like I was going to be sick. I just stood there and finally someone from the hospital got me a wheelchair. The pain was the worst I had felt. I had done too much. I'm at week 12 and still limp but I am determined to get walking again after seeing a surgeon today saying my healing is pretty good and if I can get moving try to. I showed him photos of my swelling  of a couple of weeks ago and he said it was quite significant and if I have any problems at all ie like two weeks ago red and hot and swollen to get straight back to them and not my local GP. So, am happy with that but yes felt like I'd been left in limbo for so long with how to handle the situation.So, can understand thoroughly where you are coming from. My last appointment was 7-8 weeks ago. Was told no swimming, beach or pool so have missed this summer but now all good to go. I have put on weight so am really depressed about that as felt fat prior to that. Did you have much assistance from anyone. I only had my male friend that lives in the apartment across from me. We are close but I would have liked assistance otherwise. I am going to have my right one day and may see if I can get it done in August but this time I am going to see if I can get a Disabled Tag for the car and be much more prepared and aware of the rest that one needs. Sorry have waffled.
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, no problem waffle away, that's what we are here for. Yes it is very frustrating when you think you atr just going along with the process then you realise that you are just stuck. The worrying bit is not knowing how long you will be stuck for, especially when you have an employer to update. Is there a reason you have been given for not progressing? I see my gp next week so hopefully he will be able to suggest something. I have been lucky to have my partner home during this whole process so have had all the help in the home that i needed. I still can't drive yet which is good because if I could work would be wanting me in and I am far from ready for that. I wish I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Its hard not knowing if or when I will be able to walk properly again. I feel for you and your situation. I am in it too so you care not alone. I lost 22 lb prior to my surgery and it is creeping back on, I have probably put xabpit 10lb back on at least bout there is not a great deal we can do about that at the moment until we can walk again. Best of luck to you, keep in touch with any developments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.