Has anyone here had cataract then developed glaucoma as a child?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My son is 5 years old. He had cataracts surgery at 3 months.  Now this dr thinks he might have glaucoma.  So Im at lost here on what to expect.. Whats the range for a good eye pressure with contacts or without contacts?  i have more questions but this are the main ones i have so far... thanks for any input

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear this.My daughter had cataract surgery at age 1 month and wore contact lens till age 5 after which during iol implant surgery her glaucoma got diagnosed.While  checking her pressure approximately in one year gap her pressure used to be in 17-18 mmHg range which was fine for her age 

• Posted

How old is your daughter now and how is her vision? How is her glaucoma? And what treatment is she on? Does it work? 
    • Posted

My daughter is now 10 yr old and she has  good vision maintained still thanx to patching therapy and good diet.she had initial damage to the optic nerve possibly before we could diagnose glaucoma .since then nerve is stable.she is on multiple eye drop combinations and her pressure though fluctuates from 18-24 mmHg but she  did'nt needed any surgery so far,.Adults can take on quite many drops which children cannot making pediatric glaucoma management even tougher.

All the very best for your little one

take care

• Posted

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my questions. I really really do appreciate it.  I'm so glad your daughter is doing great.  It gives me hope.  When you said good diet, what diet is she on?  Could you let me know what eyedrops does she used?  when she was 5 up to now does she need to go on general aneasthesia to get her pressure check? And how often do they check the pressure?  Again I'm so very thankful for your reply.

• Posted

Good diet means at least 3-4servings of fruits and vegetables accompnied with eye health vitamins etc.While she was less than 5 years yes anaesthesia was required for checking and it was done once a year .Currently she is on combinations of brimonidine,timolol,dorzolamide,and latanoprost.Is your son just a glaucoma suspect or diagnosed for the same already?

• Posted

What eye health vitamins is she on? He is a glaucoma suspect.  His prescriptions was going down from +21 to now + 19 in like a 6 months span.. The doctor can't figure why is his vision kept getting worse.  He checked his eye pressure(with contacts in) with that tonometer  with his right eye and it's 22 or 23 and then his left eye was at 28.  So next week we're going to see him again this time without contacts in to get more info about those eyes.  

• Posted

There are many including lutein,manganese etc apart from much required vitamin A,C ,E just a Google regarding the same can give u more information.

My daughter's pressure were always checked without the contacts so definitely you would be in better picture by next visit.Has the Doctor checked his optic nerve?

• Posted

Recently, I have been taking Ocuvite gummies by Bauch and lomb for my grave's disease(bulging of eye-hyperthyroid).  I'm not sure if my son should take that too it has Lutien and Zeaxanthin.  I will ask his Dr if he could take that too.  I'm not sure on how much Ocuvite servings per day on kids.  I take the full dose 5mg.  Optic nerve will be on next visit hopefully soon.  I was instructed to put the dilating eye drops on him prior coming in next time because he wasn't as calm when others puts it in.  Hearing about your daughter's progress elevates some worries that I have and thank you so much for taking the time on replying and answering my questions.  I just wanted you to know that you helped me a lot.

• Posted

You are welcome anytime...do update how the things comes up ahead with the next visit.

All the very best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.