Has anyone in the UK used a knee scooter?

Posted , 4 users are following.

A few people who I think were in the US have recommended hiring a knee scooter. Does anyone in the UK have experience of using one? I know they can be hired but can't say I've never noticed anyone scooting along on one. I have 3 weeks to go until the pin is removed from my second toe so don't know whether it would be worth hiring one for that short a period, although I guess it could still be useful in the early weeks (months?) of building up from very short distances.

Having one of those difficult, frustrating days which I guess is typical for this stage, just over 3 weeks post-op and having a lively young dog/pup needing more care and stimulation than I can give. I dream of a special contraption or even an electric scooter so that we can go 'walkies' together!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there! I'm in Nottinghamshire and I rented one for 5 weeks after my surgery, because I wasn't allowed to weight bear at all. 

I rented mine from strideon and it was a huge help around the house and I could get to the local shops on my own too! The extra cup holder was also useful! 

• Posted

Sounds good and thanks for responding. I can at least heel-walk but obviously not very far so the thought of whizzing along on a knee scooter definitely appeals. Might need L-plates though!
  • Posted

I wondered abt these but don't even know what they look like. I am sure useful for those people that cant weight bear for a few weeks.
  • Posted

I looked into hiring one and was all set to go until nearest and dearest pointed out that I'd need to manoeuvre it over doorstep, along narrow drive path past car while holding onto lively young dog. Ah, not such a good idea. Shame I couldn't have tried one out locally. Without a doubt, the most difficult thing about all of this is not being able to go out for walkies with poochy. Roll on the day and yes, it will come!

• Posted

Hi, I hope you found a scooter! I used one for the first 4 weeks, I would have been miserable with out it.  I put a basket on the handle bars so that I could carry the things I needed, truly a life saver.  I highly recommend one to anyone who is having foot surgery of any kind. Plus, they are lots of fun, very entertaining. 

Good luck and happy healing 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.