has anyone recently had a big toe joint replacement ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a big toe joint replacement 10 weeks ago, I am still in pain and also have tendonitis. This is my second operation as 10 months ago had cheilectomy and osteotomy on both big toe joints but as this did not stop the pain and the arthritis was severe iv had the joint replacement, has anyone else got the same problem?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  I had the same operation 11 mths ago and still in pain, went to the dr and he wants to do a fusion at the big toe. Really nervous and not sure if I want to do this again. Good Luck.
    • Posted

Hi Chris, sorry to hear it hasn't worked, have they told u why it hasn't worked, is the arthritis too severe? My toe is still as painful as before but its only 10 weeks ago since op so I'm hoping it'l improve but I'm not convinced, especially after hearing ur story. R u considering fusion ?
  • Posted

I had my big toe joint replaced 6 months ago, at the same time I had a lapidus and an Achilles tendon lengthening. I have gained a bit of mobility in my big toe, but not much. And the joint is more painful now than it was before my surgery. I do exercises to bend my toe up and down, and they are still painful 6 months later. I have not been able to find many people who've had this procedure. Have you?
    • Posted

Hi I haven't spoken to anyone yet with same problem as myself, would love to hear from people on how they are doing and if anyones is a success!
    • Posted

Hope you get some improvement soon, has surgeon said why you could still be in pain?
    • Posted

Hi,  had my big toe joint replaced 5 months ago . . . poor post op nursing care caused infection so had to had a further op to sort that out.  Now 5 months on joint is more painful than before first op, although the rest of my foot is less painful.  Walking is very difficult and regretting having had the op in the first place.  Currently having physio to try to help but this is insufficient to make any progress.  Like you I now have a bit of mobility in my big toe, but not much, can make it bend if I use my fingers.  Have to go back in 6 weeks time for xray and sign off . . . but think they will tell me its not been successful and want to fuse it, so not looking forward to the possibility of operation 3 within 7 6 months!  I was unaware of how unsucessful these operations are until after it was done sad 
    • Posted

Hi, very interesting to hear your experience, I had my op 7 months ago, iv had tendonitis twice and infection twice and its still painful to walk and bend big toe. It honestly isn't any better or less painful than before the op. Surgeon said give it a year and see how it is, fusion us an option but I'm not sure. My surgeon said he has had successes with this op, maybe we need more time!
    • Posted

Hi, Lovely to hear I'm not alone, but I am getting increasingly worried about how many of these ops appear to not resolve the problem and end up with further surgery. I was offered a choice between replacement joint and fusion but wasn't told how often replacement don't work!

I'm dreading going back as I'm thinking my surgeon will want to do a fusion. Never been in the situation before where I was scared of the NHS ... But I'm very confident that the infection I got was as a result of bad post op care. I'm trying to find statistics on this op in uk but haven't got far. I think it's success rate is as yet questionable.

• Posted

Hi, my surgeon chose joint replacement as I still had some movement in my big toe, which I think was right decision, I did think it would work but upto now it hasn't. I had to stop physio as it wasn't working just hurting, so walking is my physio.
    • Posted

Hi what did they say caused your infection? Just interested when u think it was ur care, cos my foot swelled up and went red and painful, I got antibiotics, did u?
    • Posted

Hi , 'they' (nhs) haven't said what caused my infection however most likely is signs of burst abscess on wound at week 2, insufficient dressing changes due to bank holidays, poor hand wash hygiene of nurses when redressing the wound, or incorrectly applying dressing (back to front ) ! Following my second 'clean out' op they did put me on antibiotics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.