Has anyone started gambling since using venlafaxine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since my venlafaxine medication was increased to 375mg per day I have started to gamble on online sites, I have never gambled before in my life and I am really worried about it. I spoke to my GP on Monday and insisted that I come off the medication which I am just starting to do. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No - but I started doing something ilegal, ended up with a conviction.

​If you are having problems like that its good you nipped it in the bud

• Posted

ugh no...and i am not so sure i would be that quick to take you off medication, unless you are suddenly suicidal that is, but rather see what is behind this sudden compulsion. Who insisted you come off? The doctor or you? If former - find another doctor. If you - take it very slow - it could be a big mistake. First of all what are you prescribed ven for? depression alone? anxiety? manic depression? psychosis or any borderline personality disorder? Are you taking any other medication or any form of recreational drug or alcohol (no need to answer just consider).  I would be more inclined to believe that something about your situation or illness is what is behind this sudden change and that at the most venlafaxine may have simply uncovered this (removed inhibition) and gambling would be a way to release tension. If you are having serious money problems your gambling is a symptom of you trying desperately to take control or improve your situation. if you do not have money problems then it is a symptom of your depression i would assume. I would see about lowering the dose slightly and only if it continues to escalate would i attempt to take you off. Frankly, GP should not be prescribing psychotropic medication in the first place anyway especially at these notable doses. He should pull back and refer you to a psychiatrist pronto so you can be properly asessed. My opinion is from a perspective of someone with 12 years on psychotropics as well as a person with psychology education. I am not a psychiatrist but i have spent my life in therapy. My GP totally messed me up. it took a good psychiatrist to piece me back together. Something for you to consider.
  • Posted

I didn't start gambling, but stole, which was totally out of character for me.  It was when I had gone pretty high on Ven.  Since I have come down and am tapering to come off, I am horrified by that past behavior, and NO, it was not due to something uncovered by the ven - geesh!  These drugs can cause disinhibition!

• Posted

Your reactions are not random. It doesn't work that way.You have to always take into account the fact that your brain is not only responding to the medication but medication IN COMBINATION with the condition which it is being prescribed for. Disinhibition may be initiated by the drug at a certain level. Disinhibition put plainly alows for a release of repressed urges. And while you know you do not wish to steal, the stealing was a "solution" provided by your brain to the nature of your repression. And the nature of your repression (the cause of why you have the condition for which you are taking medicine) is subconscious at best, which is why it feels so out of character and foreign where in fact it is not at all. Same goes for the poster. Sorry. I don't mean to say you are in essence thieves and gamblers LOL, that's not what it is at all. But your reaction to the drug provides insight to the nature of your condition. The fact that different people will get different results once disinhibition sets in speaks for itself. It is actually helpful in determining the root cause of your condition. If I were you I would turn to a good psychoanalyst to work through this as this may be a blessing in disguise. You may actually be able to work out what is eating at you and making you ill in the first place. Best of luck to both.

• Posted

and seriously - medicating at these potent levels is NOT a GP job. I really want to stress that again. There should be a level where GP says "well this is a little high....now let's see what a neuropsychiatrist thinks". And refer you. And the latter would know if you need to tweak dose, toy with psychoanalysis or whatever else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.