Has anyone taken bisphosphonates like Fosamax to promote bone growth?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Son just had LTHR and is at Stage I or II on right hip. So the only surgical alternative is core decompression or to wait until the pain is unbearable and get RTHR.

BUT -  I've been reading about Bisphosphonates - a class of drugs that prevent the loss of bone mass, used to treat osteoporosis and similar diseases. Brand names for oral medications include Fosamax and Boniva. There is even a once a year injection called Aclasta.

Has anyone here taken any of these and had some success?

I know there are some horrible side effects. Has anyone experienced these?

Mahalo in advance for your kind attention and answers.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking fosamax for 7+ years with no appreciable side effects. Not so sure it helped me tremendously (1 fall led to 6 broken bones and I had my first THR in late Feb with another scheduled this fall). However, I guess it could all have been worse.However, I don't have any better recs....

Sorry for all your son is experiencing (I understand how hard it is to see him suffer and be frustrated - my daughter is recovering from a bad concussion). 

Please let me know what you learn. 

with big hugs.

• Posted

Mahalo for your reply, Linda. I appreciate your relating your own experience with Fosamax. I'm so sorry about your accident and subsequent surgery, as well as your upcoming one. You have been through so much!

I am even more sorry about your daughter. I'm sending her positive thoughts and prayers for her recovery.

Aloha to you, Linda!

• Posted

Oh Soos ... don't worry about me. Our family has so many ongoing dramas that is almost a way of life! And, I am so glad to be rid of the bone-on-bone pain on my left hip. I will be very happy to get the second one done. And my daughter is improving, even if it is slow going. She even has a bit of bounce yesterday after an appointment with the neurologist. A few more tests as the remaining symptoms remain a worry ( bad headaches and sensitivity to light and sound).

Good luck to your son and to you for all to do to support him.

Big hugs - aloha.

Linda

• Posted

So kind of you, Linda. Our children are number one - I'm so glad you can see her improvement! I'll keep her in my prayers. Hugs to you.

Unfortunately, new worries about son. I will post in a bit.

• Posted

Hi Soos, 

I heard of it and know someone who has been taking it who was diagnosed with osteoporosis - she was not sure if it delayed the process  -

Thinking of you 

angel blessings

renee

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, Renee. Every bit of shared information helps. I will send you a brief PM. Aloha
  • Posted

Hi Soos, although I can't help with your specific question, I can tell you that I was stage 2 AVN and OA, and gradually deteriorating for about 5 years. During this time I couldn't face a THR as my children were so young. I managed to continue to function with injections directly into the joint of:

- steroids

- durolane

Steroids helped but the combination of that with durolane was more effective. Durolane is commonly used to treat knees but can also help hips if the degeneration is not too advanced. It acts as a buffer between the bones and also works to reduce swelling. Try 'Googling' it. The first 2 injections I had, about 12 months apart, helped a lot and lasted about 9 months. The last one didn't help me much as things were too far gone by then, bone on bone ...

Yes there is a low risk of infection the actual injection but this is not very common. This treatment kept me going and delayed my THR by 4 years until my kids were a bit older and both at school.

I'm sorry this doesn't answer your question but might offer you another option to investigate, as I had some moderate success with it.

Good luck with all your effort to help your son x

• Posted

Basia, thank you for the info. That is terrifically helpful! I will research Durolane. Son had 2 cortisone injections on operated hip - first helped for a couple months, second did not. Aloha to you, Basia!
  • Posted

I took Fosamax for about 5 years some years ago. It was because of steroid use as a child for my asthma (long term

use of steroids causes osteoporosis). It does work and I had no noticeable side effects. But I got worried at the prospect of taking it long term - no one seemed to be sure of long term side effects. I took up Tai Chi 6 years ago. It is renowned for helping with bone density as it is extremely weight bearing. After 2 years a DEXA scan showed that my hips had increased in density by about 9% and my spine by 4%. I had a LTHR 7 months ago because of OA. Haven't looked back. Luckily the surgeon pronounced my other hip as "virtually normal".

• Posted

Super - I had been considering Tai Chi for a while. Thanks for sharing this info.

L

• Posted

Super - I had been considering Tai Chi for a while. Thanks for sharing this info.

L

• Posted

Thank you, Ann, for the info. I think the recommendation is to take Fosamax for 6 months, then take a break. I can mention both this and tai chi to son. I myself have taken qi gong to help with anxiety, and the folks in my class were recovering from cancer, heart surgery, etc. It is the ~gentle~ version of tai chi. A good suggestion and outcome for you, Ann!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.