Has anyone tried a crosstrainer

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi im nearly 3 months post op ( wow it's gone so fast ) I'm doing ok walking unaided etc but still struggling with heavy legs and painfull toothache thighs and calfs and also I can't lie for long on either operated side or other so I was thinking of maybe going on a cross trainer a few mins a day to see if that helps ? Has anyone done this ? Any advise would be appreciated x

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi christine, 

sorry I can't help you with this question .... you might still be over doing it a wee bit though ... do you have physical therapy ? 

maybe your muscles need to get stronger, slowly and gradually ? 

do you put a pillow between your legs when on your side?  operated side might just be too sensitive, so don't push it ...

I am sure more helpful comments will come in wink

in the mean time, take it easy and be gentle with self

renee

• Posted

Hi Christine,

i havent used used a cross trainer  but I have used a static bike from about week six. Got the go ahead from consultant and physio ( his idea). I started gradually and built up to where I am today at six months. It helped enormously with those weak and heavy feelings you are describing. It stopped me limping and walking like a penguin and by now I feel healthy, strong and powerful. I would imagine a cross trainer would give a similar effect. Good luck with it. 

Catrin

• Posted

I'm with you on the penguin walk christine.  It's so difficult to pace yourself - I'm almost four months post op and thought I was doing quite well - until I did some gardening this weekend.  Today, both my hips are killing me and I'm back to the Douglas Bader walk.  The pain in my newest hip was enough to stop me in my tracks today while I walked the dog. sad  I've stretched loads.  Planning a nice relaxing bath later.  I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I just wish I was normal.
  • Posted

But anyway, to reply to your query, I'd say, from my own experience, that you're doing too much already, and your body is telling you to rest. 

I need to take my own advice I think!

• Posted

Hiya I think your right I may be doing too much some days I'm bent over like an old woman  can't straighten up for half hour as for getting in a bath I envy u I tried last week got in it ok but couldn't get out took me fifteen mins to get out by then I was cold and hurting so much also still struggle putting sock on operated side without an aide 😥 not sure that's normal nearly 3 months post op ?
  • Posted

Hi Christine.  I had both hips replaced 7 weeks ago.  Last week I went to see the physio at the hospital and she took me into the gym and said I was not walking properly because my knees were rolling inwards and I was limping badly.  She put me on the cross trainer and has recommended that I use it a couple of times a week.

i was absolute gutted because before my operation I had a big clear out and got rid of a cross trainer that I had bought years ago but had stopped using.  If only I had known that it would have come in handy I would not have dreamed of getting rid of it.

I also have aching legs from my knees downward.  Hope it goes as sometimes it is very painful.

good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.