Has anyone tried Palexia for neuralgia?

Posted , 3 users are following.

After 16 months of post herpetic occipital and trigiminal neuralgia and no response with anti convulsants it may be time for opiates. I am very hesitant but can't stand the pain anymore . Has anyone had this med before?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes i was on them for over 2 years, I started on 50mg and went up to 75 x 4 per day very quickly as I became dependant very quick, they made me very confused, brain fog, couldn't sleep, lost 2 stone and I'm under weight anyway so I looked so ill, anyway I persisted and they did help with pain for a while but then I started to go into withdrawal 2 hours before each dose and thought no way am I upping again because what happens when I get to my max dose, I put up with it for a year and then decided it's time to come off this and it was pure hell, my opinion is that all opioids help for a while and iv been on quite a few with the same effect eventually but you either end up zombied or going through hell to come off them, sorry nothing positive but this was my experience on them, I'm still in chronic pain and struggle with it mentally and physically daily but I'm just living each day as it comes and hoping tomorrow will be better, I'm sorry your suffering and hope you find something that works for you, good luck 😊

• Posted

Opiates create physiological dependency and in some emotional dependency leading to addiction.

You should discuss your options with a neurologist. Other treatments are available.

hugs

• Posted

Thanks for

Your reply. Yes as a reg nurse i do have a good awareness of the dependency of opiates and benzos . ... That is why I have avoided them for so long. I have tried 3 different anticonvulsants to no

Avail, just horrid side effects. Ordinary over the counter and prescription analgesics do not work at all and the long term effects of them on your other organs are not good. A second neurologist suggested trialling palexia for for one month but still I am wary. I am from Australia and medical cannibis oil is not available yet for chronic pain. Has anyone or yourself tried it and has it been effective? Thanks for your support

• Posted

many say it is...even the parents of small children with horific disease.

Palexia tablets contain the active ingredient tapentado which is an opiod.

How about Neurotin-gabapentin?

or Lyrica-pregabalin, even a steroid burst.

• Posted

Yes I have tried steroids as well as the three anti convulsants, Lyrica, gabapentin and Tegretolwith no pain relief . Mine appears to be Atypical which I believe is harder to treat
    • Posted

Yes I was on them for 2 years they initially work but line all opioids you eventually have to up the dose, there are side effects when you first take them, insomnia, brain fog which actually stays with you, extreme weight loss and more but I came off them which had horrendous withdrawals, as for MM I have tried it but it done nothing for my pain however there are more stronger versions coming through but a bit pricey at the mo so will have to wait a while to try

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.