Has anyone tried the Paleo Antinflammatory diet ?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have Poly and Fibro as well so  I just looked on their forum and saw they were discussing diet. Sounds like it would be appropriate for Ploy sufferers - has anyone tried it ? 

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Rheumatologist put me on anti inflammatory diet

no flour

no grains

no legumes

no dairy

no sugar

No processed foods

only meat and veggies and fruit in mornings with protein

is it helping? I do not know, but I was will to try anything to get pain down.  I'm still in pain until Pred kicks in afternoon, but I'm probably 70% in mornings and 50% better in afternoons. 

My weakness at night is red wine.  1/2 cup coffee in morning. Probably need to give those two up! 

I used to only eat high grained breads and only for breakfast, and whole wheat pasta, but gave those up with PMR.

I miss yogurt! 

Anyone take probiotics in pill form verses yogurt? 

• Posted

How long have you been on it ? I do know someone who swears by it. His health improved incredibly, but they never did diagnose his problem. His life was just fading away, physically and mentally, and he made a great recovery.
    • Posted

I have T2 diabetes anyway and have asthma so I'm a bit restricted with diet.  I find that with all these diet plans, they are very costly and those that I have tried have done nothing for me.

I couldn't go without dairy - yoghourts (and probiotics) are necessary for me as a way of combating the thrush which comes with being on steroids and using steroid inhalers (I'm also a cheese freak and can't do without that either).

Still, life with PMR has taught me that anything is worth trying!

• Posted

I've had PMR for 7 months, been on diet 6 months. Pred 7 mg but trying 8.

i try to eat fresh caught wild salmon once a week, but yes, $$.  My other weakness is red meat. 

Oh!!! I forgot, she said NO potatoes, no sweet potatoes either, ugh!!! Sometimes I still eat sweet potatoes. Maybe once a month. 

• Posted

yes i take probiotics 4 million one or twice a day, but i have taken these for years, and still eat yoyurt

• Posted

If offered red wine I usually accept with the excuse that is an anti inflammatory, therefore must be good news for PMR. Although perhaps my liver may not agree! 
    • Posted

I think you have just inadvertently answered another question I have - thrush. I never thought of plain old thrush. I have had Lichen Planus (another autoimmune prob). for 28 years. Thought I was having an unusual flare up of that - but it is inflamation and should be under control with Pred (I thought), but it will probably be good old thrush. (from another yoghurt and cheese junkie). 
  • Posted

I pretty much follow an anti inflammatory diet which consists of mostly fruits, veggies,legumes, wild salmon, whole grain bread, and a tiny bit of dark chocolate once in awhile.  I eat a lot of chicken some eggs like 2 a week and once in awhile I have a cold beer_half a glass. Aside from the PMR I don't have any other health issues at the present time.  About once a week I have a tiny bit of ice cream (my weakness). At the onset of PMR I lost 23 lbs putting my BMI at 21 so I try to eat as much as I can to maintain my current weight.  A new problem for me. I also eat yogurt with blueberries for breakfast before I take Predisone and also take a probiotic in pill form.  The yogurt and the two eggs are about the only dairy products I eat.  Are they bad for the PMR?

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company/practitioner names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Eggs contain lots of different vitamins apart from vit C, they have vit D which is important for PMR plus all the B vitamins. Milk and yogurt contain calcium which is also important for PMR. 
    • Posted

I was and sometimes am having a little throat irritation or maybe it's acid reflux I'm guessing due to Pred???? So I took with milk for few days and it was fantastic! But had Rheumy appt. and she said NO, it's dairy! 

I asked about yogurt again and she said, no, it's dairy! 

So... guess we should google is dairy inflammatory... wink 

anyone else have have throat Irritation?  I thought it might be Curcumin, so I stopped for several days now, but still have it... Thought maybe the calcium... But unsure yet. Ugh... When I was on higher Pred I had chest tightness for 2-3 hours during day!!!! Scary! 

• Posted

too much work. I'm a dairy free vegetarian and that's the best I can do. anything else means I starve to death. At the moment I'm on a liquid diet for two meals and eating a dinner, but that's working toward real food (reflux issues due to prednisone).  most of my food was antiinflammatory before all of this and look at me now!
    • Posted

ok....... so that didn't work. I don't think I have got the mental stamina to follow a strict diet - so weak willed - I wish I adored vegetables.
  • Posted

A study did show that for half of patients with RA, a strict vegan diet did reduce joint pain - but as soon as any animal protein was reintroduced the effect was lost. It also didn't work for ALL patients.

These extreme diets are all very well - but they are often hard to stick to as well as being expensive and they often put you at risk of dietary deficiencies. Omitting dairy of all sorts is something of a risk when on pred because of the bone density aspect. If you aren't eating dairy of any sort - make sure you are taking enough calcium in the form of supplements which aren't as good as dietary calcium.

• Posted

you can get enough calcium and other things on a strict vegan diet, you just need to be attentive to what you eat. no junk food and fillers, just eat real foods and you'll be fine. most things, like almond milk, soy milk, tofu, etc have calcium in them so you will get your daily amount via foods. My daughter and I do just fine.
  • Posted

Hi, oh if I just had the energy to shop for all the food stuffs needed.  I do like fresh food, sometimes don't have the energy to cook it mind you.  Balance is the best for me.  A little bit of everything will do me no harm.  My motto that I am sticking to. cool  
    • Posted

Hear you Pat on the energy or desire to cook... Trouble with fresh is all the cutting and chopping, sometimes I just wish I had a healthy frozen dinner to pop in microwave!!! But I know those are also considered processed foods, so I'm avoiding now, ugh. 

I feel like a horse eating so many greens! I feel I'll turn in to spinach! Or turn green! Hee, hee.

tonight my husband asked if there was dinner, I didn't want to commit, but I watched a dance show on TV and got motivated! Didn't cut of the veggies I wanted to cook, too tired, but had some left over from last night and added them, ha!!!  It's a chore sometimes to eat healthy!!! But guess I'm glad we do. But I did cheat!!!! I'm eating baked sweet potato fries! wink some say sweet potatoes are ok, some say not. 

Hope you get some good energy soon!!!! smile 

• Posted

Hi Layne, we all cheat once in a while.  If I had energy I would be cooking fresh every day and if I had a husband, he would be making dinner for me.  

I take it a day at a time, never knowing what I can and cannot do.  Good luck on your journey.  Regards  Pat

• Posted

Hee, hee Pat, you made me smile.  I am fortunate, my husband has been great through my PMR, he does have to travel during week for work, so while often it's NICE to be alone and eat what I want, it's also great when he is home and enjoys cooking too. He has even cut out breads. And after we grilled up some sweet corn on cob, he reminded me its a grain. wink 

yeah, makes that day at a time phrase come true. Hope for some great energy for you soon!  smile 

• Posted

Is there something wrong with corn? Or is it all carbs?   We cook it in microwave with the husk on and it comes out great.  It takes 6 minutes for two ears rotate at 3.
    • Posted

Corn is supposed to be a really good food, vitamins, fibre and anti oxidants. 
    • Posted

It's just my Rheumy said no grains... Plus it's very high glycemic index, so It converts to sugar pretty fast in me. I'm reactive hypoglycemic. I convert high glycemic foods to sugar way fast! Then have low blood sugar.  When high on Pred 20 I could eat what I wanted! Ha, ha. But couldn't sleep either. 

Corn probably ok for most. It sure tastes good!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.