Has anyone used a Resperate breathing aid to control their blood pressure

Posted , 11 users are following.

Have high BP circa 190/ 95 and side effects from all medications tried have forced me to discontinue the medication

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No, I would be really interested to know if they/it work though.
  • Posted

I haven't tried Resperate because I couldn't afford to waste the money it costs if it didn't work - don't know what your side effects from your bp medications were but mine include horrendous joint pain and fluid retention. The bottom line from my gp is take your bp medication or suffer a stroke etc - my medication at the moment is Candesartan. Hopefully someone who has used Resperate will be able to give us some advice.
  • Posted

Like you Mollymac I couldn't afford the waste of money either [who could?!] I've tried various gimmicky things to try and reduce the bp without any effect. Seems I'm stuck with it. I was changed from Ramipril which gave me a dreadful cough to Losartan which has no side effects, for me anyway. Assume Candesartan is similar ? Can't you ask the gp to change to another med, there is plenty of choice after all.Or change the gp !! He/she sounds pretty callous.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Jane. When I was first put on medication it was Bendroflumethiazide which I had to come off due to it causing potassium to go too low - then Ramapril, Losartan and now Candesartan. I must be extremely sensitive to something in these meds but the one which agreed with me most was the Bendroflumethiazide. My gp said he had never heard of Candesartan causing joint pain and I have a notion that it was not included in the side effects leaflet when I was first put on it (I may be wrong in saying this) but I see it is mentioned as a side effect now.
  • Posted

Molly, Snap! I'm seemingly extremely sensitive to the BP meds too. Got very ill on Ramipril within days some 7 years ago and was diagnosed with an auto immune illness necessitating 5+ years on steroids. Of course, it could have been a coincidence but I feel very hesitant to take Ramipril again. I was then put on Candesartan but the first blood test showed raised Creatinine so that was stopped. I've recently been on Amlodipine but was taken off it after 2 months due to severe ankle swelling and a rash on the bottom back of my legs diagnosed as varicose eczema. Am now on Diltiazem, increasing the dose 6 weeks ago, and have again got very swollen ankles with a consultant yesterday saying they feel full of fluid, suggesting that perhaps I should also start a diuretic to offset the side effect of the BP pill. Hate the thought of adding one pill to combat the effects of the first. Am also concerned about the diuretic causing potassium problems. Did your potassium problem return to normal after stopping the diuretic? I hope you hve better luck with the Candesartan - at least that doesn't cause swollen ankles.
    • Posted

I was interested to hear about the effects of amlodipine causing varicose eczema and swollen ankles.  My husband had his dose of amlodipine doubled to 10 mg in May and in July he had swollen ankles and eczema on his heels and ankles which has now spread to the rest of his body.  I wonder if this could be due to the increased dose of amlodipine.
    • Posted

Highly likely Diana if my experience is anything to go by.  He should be changed to a different drug asap.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply - he was changed to Losartan 25 mg but stopped it two days ago because of stabbing chest pain and constantly runny nose.  He has not taken anything for two days and this morning fainted and fell and is in bed saying he feels dizzy and weak.
    • Posted

Diana, his symptoms may not necessarily have been related to Losartan, but something else going on.  If his fainting episode is unusual, and with the dizziness and weakness you describe, he should be checked over by a Dr, especially if he won't let you check his BP.  Good luck to both of you.

• Posted

Thanks very much for your reply.  An out of hours dr did come today and said that the fainting and dizziness were due to a labile blood pressure (presumably because he stopped taking the Losartan).  It was 121/69 this morning and the Dr measured it at 160/? this afternoon -   not sure of diastolic but the Dr said he should go onto a different BP pill.
    • Posted

Ones like us with labile BP have it reduced too much for the times it drops and so get extremes of side effects.

How long was he having BP tests before being medicated ?

Regular home readings are best. The consultant at the hypertension centre says that you can never take your BP too much!

He suggests four or five readings over a ten minute period four times a day.

• Posted

Interesting that your consultant says that.  When I went to the GP yesterday and said I took mine twice a day every day [more or less] i could sense her rolling her eyes!!  When I was first diagnosed 4 yrs ago [24 hr monitor] and I subsequently bought my own monitor, a friend who has had high BP for over 25 years said that was one thing I should never do. She said it would make me obsess over it. She is computer illiterate and when GOUT struck never realised it  was a side effect of her medication.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your husband and hope he is going on OK now. I would be surprised if 25mg of Losartan would have caused his problem, it is absolutely the teeniest dose possible and Losartan generally doesn't cause many problems with side effects. not to say it couldn't of course.

• Posted

He has actually had high blood pressure all his life and is now 78 but I suppose has been on medication for about 10 years.  It has been monitored regularly most of this period as we have a monitor at home.  This GP that came this afternoon explained  labile blood pressure so well at the time but now I can't remember what he said!  

• Posted

He is an expert on BP unlike GP's or cardiologists.

He says that cardiologists and surgeons are very clever people compared to him but they don't understand hypertension.

• Posted

Have you ever asked to go to a "hypertension referral centre" If your BP is goes over 170/** on a regular basis you are entitled to. There are not many of them around and waiting times are quite long but can be very worth while.

I will send you a link to save you Googling the phrase.

• Posted

I do wish I understood hypertension: Something causes it. 

• Posted

I have had every test in the manual including MRI scans on kidneys and head and still no wiser.

Mostly they tell us that it is self inflicted from out lifestyles.

I cut out salt and sugar in 1983 and always had a healthy diet and walked a lot and did not have a car. I finally stopped smoking in 1993. My BP readings were always normal right through to November 2000. Suddenly in February 2001 it was 210/110. Why?  

• Posted

My husband was on it for 3 days, 5 mg. And his face became very red and broke out. He has never had skin problems on his face...he was nauseous all day, the third day. He has never had swelling in his ankles, but they started sweeping. 3 was enough...the cure is worse than the disease

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.