Has coming off gluten made me super sensitive (do I have DH?)

Posted , 4 users are following.

My daughter of 9 was diagnosed last year with Coeliac Disease.  Shortly after diagnosis, the rest of the close family was tested with the initial blood test and all of us came back negative.  However, I have suffered for years with persistent and frequent migraine as well as anaemia - as a last resort I decided to come off gluten for 6 weeks to see what would happen.  Straight away the number of migraines halved.  It has been about 2 months off all gluten now, however, I slipped up a couple of weeks ago and since about the last 10 days I have developped a strange itchy symmetrical rash on my chest, neck, arms and part of stomach.  It has a mixture of pink small spots and larger raised spots which are blister like, some of the more itchy areas are patch like.  I have been to the doctor who can't explain the rash (but I did forget to mention that I had gone gluten free).  It is just really itchy and won't respond to any creams like hydrocortisone, Eurax or aqueous cream - I'm also finding that the anti-histamine I've been prescribed is not doing an awful lot.  

Is there a possibility that the rash and gluten are linked.  By coming off the gluten, could I have become super sensitive??

I feel huge sympathy for anyone who has had DH and suffered for years.

Anyone got any ideas to stop the itch too?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Please have the rash tested so you can know one way or the other. A dermatologist is probably the best next step.

I'm so sorry you're suffering - it really sounds like gluten is a problem for you, whether it's CD/DH or not.  HUGS!  I know that others say they're more sensitive after wheat/gluten is re-introduced. 

My son has eczema and Coeliac Disease. His rashes don't clear on a strict GF diet. He also has food and pollen allergies, so those could trigger some of his flare-ups. You may want to go for allergy testing, too.

Rash relief is elusive. sad  Keeping cool helps (it's a heatwave where we live, currently, so that's not always easy, is it?) and for my son, creams give a little relief or oral antihistimines...but he always seems to be itchy somewhere. Have you tried calamine lotion?

I'm glad you have fewer migrains...good luck getting answers!

• Posted

Thanks for that - I've got to go back next week if it doesn't clear up, so I can get it checked.

• Posted

Avoid gluten have not produce Rash. this my practice.There are another

causes for rash.

good luck

• Posted

Blood tests can often give false negatives. You need to have an endoscopy to check for sure. But you need to be eating gluten (at least 4 servings a day) for six weeks beforehand.  I would suggest getting a referral to a dermatologist to get your rash tested for DH. Dapsone is the usual medication for DH.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.