Has HRT (patches) helped anyone with vaginal atrophy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I am using topical HRT (for vaginal atrophy - mainly urinary pressure and stinging). Went on to patches as well a couple of weeks ago which helped with mood swings but struggling with urinary pressure.

Desperately seeking anyone who has been helped with this. I am using vagifem twice weekly and evorel conti patches 50 g.....anyone with a positive story? Have has symptoms for 3 months, they are better but not gone.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have started using patches for about four weeks although I don't suffer from your complaint I have found them very effective better than the tablets and gel I hope they improve your situation soon

• Posted

Hi,

Vagifem used to be 20mcg but the manufacturers changed the doseage to 10mcg. Vagifem doesn't work for me now, though it used  to be very effective - presumably the doseage is too low now?

I now use Estriol vag cream, and I have an estrogen implant, topped up with topical gel (arm) as nec. but for me this isn't effective as Vagifem used to be, in terms of vag atrophy.

Could the bladder discomfort be an early sympton of bladder prolapse, rather than vaginal atrohy? I have a rectal prolapse which is greatly helped by keeping my estrogen high systemically.

• Posted

HI,I’ve been on Hrt for 21/2 years and they havent helped with my atrophy.I’m using Evorel 75.Maybe they have helped with other symptoms I cant say,as I still get anxious and emotional.Luckily I havent suffered with hot sweats etc.I had a hysterectony 4 yrs ago and a year after,I was put on the patches as my atrophy was unbearable.At one pount I was told I was through menopause because of the hysterectomy,even though my ovaries were kept and then my oestrogen was extremely low,hence the patches.So now I dont know as the doctor seemed to change his mind as to where i am with the menopause.Now I am experiencing awful bladder problems,frequency,throbbing and burning when I go.i am having a cystoscopy next week and hope they will shed some light on whats going on.HRt just isnt helping me at all and wonder whether its worth being on it.Sorry to be a debbie downer but so fed up with it all now 😞

• Posted

Hi, I originally started on estriol cream for frequency and bladder issues, it helped a bit but not a lot, I’m now on estrogel and have a Mirena coil for progesterone. I also ave an estring for vagunal atrophy.

even with all that, my bladder is sensitive and overactive. I have been taking vesicare tablets, only 5mg per day for about a year, and things are better, but still have times, and days when bladder is bad. I do have to think before I have a coffee, or a glass of wine as I know it will mean several trips to the ladies in quick succession about half an hour or so later 😟

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.