Has this op and rest had any effect on emotions and diet

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi once again my lovely toe friends.... can i just ask again has this whole procedure had the effect it has had on me, because of the resting and not much excersise i feel i am not only battling with the recovery but the emotional way it makes you feel inside, i have felt rock bottom with it all, been very tearful, been eating rubbish because quick food is easy for everyone as my partner is not a cook sort of guy and i feel like i have put on weight and feel so sluggish... i feel i have also lost my spark at the moment everything is so tiring to do, getting in and out the shower i feel so tired and just like i cant be bothered with it all, i have no appetite at the moment and just seem to be living on biscuits and tea, i feel like not only do i have to deal with the recovery thing but also a emotional state of mind at the moment, having to stay at home for such long periods i dont suppose helps either... thank you all who take the time to reply i thank you so much x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I had a bunionectomy in December, I have put on over stone because of the resting and hardly any excercise, but I also have a prolapsed disc which needs to be removed and is making excercise almost impossible!

I need another op on my toe as I now need it fused because it is more painful post op !

You are not alone with the weight gain, I keep telling myself that once I'm fully repaired I can then excercise as much as I want 😃

• Posted

hi terri thank you for reply x its just another thing they forget to mention with this surgery i guess... but it certainly does not help with the recovery, and you poor thing also having to deal with the disc issue, i do wish you well and yes when all is over we can get back into shape, take care and we are all here to help each other with these issues x
    • Posted

Thank you xx

I think I'm just accepting this weight issue, but I've told my husband not to bring me cream cakes and cookies when I'm off my feet ! X

• Posted

hi terri... lol.... with this hot weather my partner keeps buying me double lemon ice and ice cream every night... and if its not sweet things its chicken and chips, so not really helping lol i have told my partner as soon as all this is over its salad days again for me... because not only are my feet tight so are all my clothes !!! take care hun x
    • Posted

I had my op in Feb scarf and akins on right foot. I certainly have suffered from being very low, and eating rubbish. Don't worrry as soon as we get walking properly it will fall off, (i am hoping). Sitting and doing very little, pain and frustration all lead to low feelings. You are not alone and everyine I have been in touch with has felt or is feeling like you are now. Just think about the long term gains, difficult I know, but they wil come. X
    • Posted

hi smab97 x thank you so much for your kind words and reassuring information, i do take everything on board that i hear and just to know what i am feeling is quite normal is such a help, wishing you well and happy feet xx thank you
  • Posted

Agggh....yes...felt exactly the same Gillee, one big black hole of emotions. Hats off to you for having both feet done at once, that's brave.  Get some sunshine if you can, found that helps, and once you start walking and seeing improvement you're going to start to feel a whole load better about yourself  then the moment when you can walk really well and fit into a fashionable shoe is pure bliss!!! Totally worth it. I had my first foot op in Feb, all good,  second foot op in mid June. 4 long weeks of almost 24/7 hellish elevated rest as my foot was so badly bruised. But I was put into trainers and allowed to walk for the first time today. Wooopeee!!  I've changed overnight from can't be bothered to do anything unhappy depressed state to happy  let me at it !!!  Hang in there, the end results are worth it, it honestly gets easier the more mobile you become and this site is brilliant, really helps. Take care, wish you a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

thank you bee for your kind message, it does so help at this stage to know what your feeling is quite normal, and i thought omg dont tell me i have got to deal with depression and this foot thing... i can so relate to what your saying as when i do make the effort, which is such an effort at the moment because it makes me feel so tired but when i do my hair and make up and put my bright colour clothes on its like life is good, but when the feet start to swell and paining its like ohooooo just let me sit down and i feel like i am back to square one.... but its just keeping positive and aim to look forward to walking with no pain in time, thank you again and i wish you well and happiness too x
  • Posted

Hi G - you have to realize that this is major surgery and recovery, both mental and physical, is a huge part of it!  So easy to fall into a rut when incapacitated, but so much harder to get out of it.  I too am typically very active and finding it hard to have to keep still.  I too have gained a bit of weight as a result, but am just so determined that I will not fall into a 'black hole' and actually, my 'detox' starts today!!!   It's summer!  Fresh fruit and veg are so boutiful!  Make a salad.  Have some fruit.  Drink lots of water!!! (add some lemon, or mint or cucumber to give it some taste). Gaining weight is so easy.  Losing weight - not so much.  Do you live near a fitness facility?  my doctor said I could try swimming or stationary bike.  I bought a 2nd hand bike for $20!!   I am going to try water running this week (not much of a regular swimmer plus I think the paddle motion on the feet would be too much).  

Think of how pretty your feet are gong to look when recovery finished.  Now balance that with keeping your weight in balance and you have a package deal!!!!

And, if you can read,you can cook.  Doesn't have to be complicated.   Make sure youre veggie portion is 3/4 of your plate.   Quick and simple meals are sometimes the best.  Can you stand yet?  Access to kitchen?  Perhaps sit at the kitchen table and cut some veg?    Hope you try smile   

• Posted

Hi Gilles hang in there.  Time will bring plenty of opportunity to exercise. I understand how you feel.  I am looking forward to havIng stitches out tomorrow and realizing what a long haul I have ahead of me.  But this morning I started telling myself that Each day I am one day closer to being able to walk pain free.  Carbs can make you feel sluggish.  Vegetables and fruit help to make me feel more energetic.  I try to watch comedy shows to improve my mood.  Take care!
    • Posted

hi judy, thank you so much for replying, hope your stitch removal goes well, if i can give you some advice judy take some painkillers before you go, it can be quite sore but once they are out its forwards from that day.. i have just done some online food orders as my partner is working away at present so i have ordered lots of fresh veg and fruit to try to get some energy going... so from tomorrow its a nice fresh fruit salad and an hour of only fools and horses for me lol.... thank you judy and wishing you a speedy recovery with happy feet again  x
    • Posted

hi judy... hope your ok, how did the stitches go, hope it was pain free for you , i did think of you on the day, because my experience of it was awful, did not want to say too much prior to you having it done as everyone is different, but mine took nearly two hours to take out, i did have both feet done at the same time, but nurse said my surgeon stitched mine very tight... just my luck... it made me feel sick and dizzy when she was pulling on them... it was so sore and began to bleed... but its done now... hope yours was alot better than my experience xx
    • Posted

Stitch removal went fine.  Got the okay to drive and got a boot for walking. Mostly use the flat shoe they gave me after the surgery.  Been sleeping well.

judy

• Posted

hi judy, glad all went ok for you, its nice to hear, keep up the good work x
  • Posted

I have gained weight and also.pretty deppressed and now worried im suppose to go nk to work in augest but cant fit into gym shoes and even a sjort walk with my dog kills my feet how will i be slble to be on them 10 hrs a night
    • Posted

Whatever you do do not go back before you are ready you might undo all the good you have already done. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.