Has very hot weather made your symptoms worse?

Posted , 14 users are following.

The last few days we've had unseasonably hot weather here in Vancouver and to my surprise my back has become stiffer than ever in the early hours of the morning!  I thought warm weather was suppose to have the opposite effect.  Have any of you noticed this with hot weather?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No, although the weather doesn't get too hot here in Germany  (24-26 degrees) usually. I find cold weather far more disagreeable.  More pain, stiffness, etc.  Still, we're all different!
  • Posted

I can't take either extreme - very hot weather just lays me out and liquifies my remaining brain cell, while cold weather sends me into a huddle under the duvet for warmth.  In either case I'm not worth speaking to - irritable is not the word!

I do think a lot of us with these autoimmune conditions find extremes of weather very trying.

• Posted

I do like the warm - but not too hot - weather, but I find that it makes very little difference other than the fatigue if it very humid.  As Constance said we are all different!  In the UK we do get more cooler than hot periods and unlike Germany not such a temperature variation in either Summer or Winter - at least not in the sunny south!!
  • Posted

Well Leonard I live in Atlanta and the temps here have been 90 to 95 degrees plus terrible humidity I can tell you that this heat is unbearable it just saps my energy that is already low.I definately think PMR makes it worse.But everyone is different.
    • Posted

I should imagine it's the humidity that affects you and Leonard.  If it's dry heat it doesn't affect you the same.
  • Posted

Hello Leonard, in which Vancouver do you live.....USA WA, or BC?

I live in Vancouver, WA and it is unusually hot here lately.  Today it is going to be 90 and more.

My back tends to be stiff in the morning at any temperature---- but better after  PT exercises I need to do due to piriformis syndrome and myofascial.  It will cool off soon in the Pacific Northwest -- so I hope.

All the best.  Erika

• Posted

It has been extremely hot in Florida for awhile now.  Temp in high 90's but I don't hang around outside however, when the temp was in the 70's around April I was feeling so much better.  Being fair completed I could never tolerate being out in the heat for too long.  Dry cool days seem best.
  • Posted

Hi Erika, I'm in Vancouver, B.C.  I'm wondering if this is a flareup as opposed to just a reaction to this heat wave because the last 3 or 4 nights my siffness in my back is coming on earlier and earlier and now I'm experiencing it coming back at bed time and waking around 2 am and needing to take the 10mg of Pred I'm on.  Last night's dose barely worked so this morning I took 2 mg more and will observe any change even with this small increase.
    • Posted

You could take a couple of Tylenol without upping the Prednisone. In your case certain exercises might help.  I am on 14 mg of Prednisone and decreasing by 1 mg a month......don't like to go higher.

• Posted

Hi there neighbour😊,

I live in Pitt Meadows, which set a temperature record yesterday (maybe Saturday).  It is so warm and humid that I'm finding I feel drained and pretty short tempered.  I haven't experienced more pain though.

Are you in process of decreasing your dose or have you done anything that might cause a flare or have you been under the weather?  See how taking the extra 2mg works.  You might just need some gentle physio.

Do hope you're feeling better and find it's not the heat because it looks like we're in for it for a bit longer😁.

Hugs, Diana🌸

• Posted

Hi Leonard, The only comment I can offer on hot weather & its effect on PMR comes from my holiday in Malta during May of this year. Unbeknown to me I had the early classic symtoms of PMR when we set out on our holiday, just general aches & pains I thought.Two weeks in the lovely Malta sunshine did nothing to ease the aches & pains, in fact they got worse & by the time we arrived back in UK I was really struggling with the intensity them. Two weeks tomorrow since my diagnosis & have to say that two weeks on 15mg of Pred has impoved my PMR symptoms beyond belief. I do expect a few ups & down along the way & consider my self fortunate to have had a quick diagnosis + immeddiate treatment. The doctor I saw wanted to put me on 30mg.Pred., but with information picked up on various forums I was able to suggest a starting level of 15mg. He listened & admitted little experience of PMR & went along with my request. I see my regular GP tomorrow & quite a number of points to raise with him, I have a lot of trust & faith in this man. Just quickly back to  weather subject, I live in the NW of England (Lancashire) & our winters tend to quite cold & very wet, I don't like winter normally so I'm certainly not up for winter 2015/16. Onward & Upward!!!!  
  • Posted

Thanks for your comments Richard an all of those of you who have added to this discussion.  I'm going to try 12 mg for a few days and see how it goes.  This extreme hot spell is to continue for another 10 days at least so I'll see how it goesl
  • Posted

It's the humidity which has a bad effect on most arthritic conditions I believe. Too much moisture in the air which affects my joinst badly with OA!
  • Posted

I've been struggling a bit at the 4mg level, both in terms of the muscles and the afternoon fatigue.

It's been hot lately, and the fatigue was really at peak for me, so I cut out all the caffeine in the hopes of restoring my adrenal function.

First day without caffeine, I counted nine times I thought about grabbing a coffee, and I had a slight headache at times, but day two is a lot better and it feels like I have better blood pressure when moving about.  I even did a 3-hour bike ride and am not feeling too wiped out after a shower and a 1-hour nap.

I will stay off the caffeine, all caffeine, in the hopes that my adrenal function will improve my energy (and perhaps improve my cortisol regulation).

I met another pmr sufferer today, same demographic, 55-yr-old male athlete, so will should someone to discuss details with. My pmr has been only 1.5 years vs. his 4-5 years, but he is still on about the same low dose of pred as I am.

I will follow up with a new discussion as to how my caffeine-free living is affecting my pmr condition.

• Posted

Dan, along my PMR/GCA/steroid journey, it was always caffeine-free and alcohol-free for me.....not only does this help the recovering adrenal system especially when at the lower doses, but for me both would result in an immediate bout of flushing and sweating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.