haunting memories

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone know how to cope with haunting memories I keep getting them this week and things keep flooding back think it cause I've seen people I've not seen in years this week. These memories arnt of anything bad they were just stupid choices when I was younger. How can I get rid of these memories or stop myself from constantly replaying them. There causing my mood to drop and me to get sucide thoughts! Any advice welcome?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, Gavin,

I too have made many unwise choices in life (and still make them!) Decisions and choices are only stupid in retrospect, at the tome they seemed perfectly sound, or were forced upon us by circumstance. If you can atone for them, or ask forgiveness of mistakes (though in my experience, most people express puzzlement and tell you there is nothing to forgive), then by all means, make the attempt. But if not, let it go. Life's too short to shackle yourself with guilt, especially when you can do much more worthwhile things!

Anyway, practical advice. Go for a long walk in the country, or in a wood, observe everything around you, do it slowly, your mind will be so active, it will not have time to think about other matters. Or it will be so exhausted it will refuse to think. Or try to meditate, try to find some peace within yourself. More importantly, learn to forgive yourself. Otherwise, you're stating that you never make mistakes, which is to place yourself in a superhuman category!

Alternatively, try reading John Bradshaw's Healing The Shame That Binds You. I wish I had read it when I was eighteen, it would have saved me years of grief, loneliness and confusion! I hope this helps

Take care

• Posted

Thank you fot the adevice. I will have look for the book and have plans to go for a long walk tomorrow to try and help!
    • Posted

Hello agai, Gavin,

You can buy the book in Waterstones, or ask them to order it for you. I think it's about £13, though you could probably find it cheaper online. It's well worth reading.

Anything that you enjoy, I would trecommend doing more of it. Watch a silly film, or play a great piece of music, take up tap dancing, anything to really to take you out of yourself. I used yo flirtwith pretty women, some of whom became girlfriends, which created a whole new set of problems! Good ones, though!

• Posted

Hi I always try to think that we make choices on the information that we had at the time.....if you were ill, thats why you made a poor choice and never have regrets.  I always think that that was the " bi polar me" and not who I a all the time.  As someone else has said, people rarely remember the things we thought were bad or embarrassing.  What might help you is counselling, its good to off load and learn how to put things into compartments and to get them out of your head.  Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.