Have a dentist appointment & questions about antibiotics before going to dentist

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have a dentist appoint. in Sept.  I am 9 wks. post hip op.  I was wondering where did you get your antibiotics from? did you get them at your hip doc. place? from the dentist? or did you go to the clinic? how soon before dentist appoint. did you get the antibiotics?  is antibiotics a shot or pills?

Will also ask my doc. at next appoint. but was just wondering what your experience was?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was told by the orthopedic office to call the dentist and get them a couple of days before.  Haven't done it yet.  He also said it is for life.
  • Posted

I would say that the Dentist should give them to you should you need any after the treatment, these days even fillings are done without any anesthetic, only drilling needs numbing, but ask the GP too.  Ian
  • Posted

Hi catania

You will get your antibiotics from your dentist if you need them.

You will only need thm if your dentist has to drill and fill any teeth or pull any out.

You have to ask for a weeks worht BEFORE he / she does any work on your mouth. So you need to see what and if you need anything doing first.

• Posted

I spoke to my dentist, in the UK dentists can prescribe a variety of antibiotics to cover dental treatment. 
  • Posted

I had to get mine from my GP He was quite reluctant to give them but I have had my hip replacement revised so I was quite keen to have them and err on the side of caution. There seems to be mixed opinions about whether they are needed though.
  • Posted

Hi. I had a root extracted this week. I am six months post op and both consultant and dentist were reluctant to prescribe antibiotics as there is no proven worth and over prescribing leads to immunity issues. In the end they did prescribe Erythromycin as a prophylaxis. There is a big study going on at the moment as to the validity of antibiotic use after hip replacements.
  • Posted

According to UK NICE guidelines we (i am a dental professional )longer prescribe antibiotic cover for joint replacement . If your consultant felt you needed them then they need to prescribe them

Hope this helps

Denise

• Posted

I just had a few teeth pulled. The day I called my dentist to make the appointment I asked if they could call in a prescription for antibiotics so I would have them the day they were going to pull my teeth. They did and I took 2/500mg of amoxicillin one h before then every 8 hours till I ran out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.