Have any of you experienced unexplained weight loss with COPD?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Have any of you lost weight with COPD?  I have intentionally tried to lose weight for some time but have not been successful.  NOW, for no explaination, I have lost 8 pounds in a week.....2 of which were overnight. Yes, I have an appointment with my doctor today, however I am VERY concerned.  I know you can drive yourself nuts by looking up symptoms on the internet; therefore I quickly made an appointment this morning rather than lose anymore.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My poor late wife, who died January from Pulmonary Fibrosis, (a form of COPD), lost a third or more of her body weight in her last year. It is apparently down to several things - loss of appetite, effects of permanent steroid medication, several other asthma type medications, and possibly most important, the tremendous effort the heart has to put in to try to maintain O2 level near 80% leads to a continuous heart rate of 100bpm and above and permanent exhaustion. Sooner or later, the heart just gives out.

In no way can these effects be being seen in yourself, they are end-stage and you cannot be remotely anywhere near there.

• Posted

have to echo gbhall - I've also lost weight (gradually over years) since I got COPD,  down from 85 kg to 65 kg (and I am six feet tall) - and I feel like its due to my heart beating 120+ beats a minute when I do things like walk upstairs or even get emotionally aroused. And it feels like its going to burst when I have sex - I guess I will have to become a passive partner soon sad   .. So if you know anyone who is trying to lose weight, just tell them to get this disease (bad joke)
  • Posted

Hi Sandy.  Have you by any chance been retaining fluid?  Whenever I have a large drop of weight overnight it is due to fluid retention being released.  It certainly is good you will be checking with your doctor.  If you are on Facebook there is a support group called Breathe Easy which, along with this wonderful site, has given me so much information and guidance regarding copd. 
  • Posted

Hi Sandy, yes I did notice the weight loss but have resigned to the fact that it is also my different and more healthy options with food and diet also a little exercise which no doubt has contributed to it...of course copd is lurking in there but I guess how we manage it too and use the power of our minds is great also...e.g. frm a yoga tutor one of my favorite proverbs....BE AFRAID OF NOTHING WITHIN YOU. ... I love this and remind myself of this occasionally. ..onwards and upwards hun you will be pleasantly surprised...
  • Posted

Thanks to ALL of you for your kind words.  MY biggest fear was pancreatic or stomach cancer.  I recently had a "clean" colonoscopy" .  My AWESOME doctor ruled out both cancers; however did blood work and sent me immediately for a chest x-ray.  He's thinking more in the line of a thyroid condition.  I LOVE my 

GP....he is one that takes action immediately and you don't have to wait for days or weeks for results.  He said "we will keep on top of it and find out what is going on" ....rather than just dismissing it.

Again, thanks for your responses.....this is an awesome site for those of us with COPD!!!!!   XOXOXOX

• Posted

Hope results ok Sandy.  Keeping everything crossed for you. x x
  • Posted

I lost weight a couple of years ago with COPD and a dietician helped me to regain it.Also low carbohydrate intake, high protein intake and no sugar.This sounds contradictory but it isn't.

The more exercise you can do the better.This will help you to re develope the muscle mass you've lost.

Weight gain can be achieved safely and cheaply but it can take time.It took me months to gradually re gain weight but it has stayed on.Persistance pays off . Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.