Have been applying full weight on partial weight bearing leg broken in an accident

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an accident and broke my right legs tibia. It was operated and a rod was inserted. The doctor had allowed me partial weight bearing after 6 weeks but i have been walking on my own since then. What could be possible effects of that? Is it really hazardous? I am really worried because the effects could be devastating as i have been told.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The bone takes quite a while to heal properly and early full weight bearing can cause the rod to move,and misaligned healing of the bone.    Sometimes this means another operation to repair the damage done.

Its not wise to disregard experienced professional advice.

• Posted

It's funny how advice differs between hospitals etc.  I am 71 and just over two years ago I slipped and broke my femur. I also had a rod and screws put in and the day after the operation I was got out of bed and told "full weight bearing".  Apparently the bone heals quicker if weight is put on it.  Now I know that a lower leg break is different but how can it be good for one bone and not for another?  By the way, after seven months my leg was totally healed although 17 months after the break I had the screws but not the rod removed and have had no problems ever since.  I have to say that if I had to break my leg again I would rather it was the femur and not the lower leg bones as they seem to cause people more problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.