Have been on DLA for 6 years and now have to change to PIP!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I had a home assessment on the 8th Jan with a lady from ASOS. I have been on DLA for six years now and at 67 this August find it rediculous that I have to go through all this again? I sent in all my documents from consultants and doctors also private letters from each to say I cannot walk any more than 20 yards cannot do domestic chores, bathe or dress without help etc but they still want to put you through the mill. I have both rhuematoid and oesteoarthritis in my hips, I have rotator cuff in both shoulders, carpal tunnel in both hands, fibromyalgia, high blood pressure BPPV (Vertigo). I also had a heart attack last May and 3 stents fitted and an attack of Gallstones which I am waiting to have removed. When the lady came she was very nice but kept asking the same questions, obviously trying to trip you up? She asked me to do various things like touch each finger, hands above head etc, which I cannot do as I am in pain constantly 24/7. It is demeaning enough having to have your husband shower you and dress you as well as cook, clean and shop for you without having to perform like a circus seal. It is as though they disregard all the hard work your doctor or consultant has done for you and their diagnosis of your illnesses. I think it wrong and now have the added worry that I might be refused my benefit, with without we just could not live. Without a mobility car i would be housebound as I cannot use public transport !! How long after a home assessment will it take until I hear any results, does anyone know?? All very worrying and not doing anything for my sleep which is bad anyway.

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I could not agree more with you. I have just had my second d Pips assessment at home having had shoulder surgery.I have also submitted all the documentary ecru dense from my GP Physio surgeon rheumatologist but they still wanted to them again. Back in May I was awarded two years enhanced rate that was before my surgery . Fibromyalgia never leaves so why did I have to be assessed again
    • Posted

exactly pollmadol64 fibro never leaves you but this is added on to of rheumatoid and oestearthrits, then we have the shoulders, wrists etc. All proven by xrays and docors but its just not goo enough!!
  • Posted

Hi Christine, I know how you feel as I was in a similar situation, diagosed with MS, athritus and lads of other stuff, I too had to go through assesment. I was quite fortunate in only waiting 2 weeks for results, which I know to some has been quite quick. I think it is one of those things that is like how long is a piece of string!, everyone seems differant.  If you are not succesfull then you should apeal, as lots get through on appeal. Hope it goes well xx
  • Posted

I just before Christmas had a letter (more like a big book asking the same questions!) it took me and a very nice lady from my housing association over 2hrs to fill the thing out! That was before Christmas and like you I'm waiting for the dreaded letter when we filled out the form the lady who helped me put at the bottom if you want this lady to have a medical you will have to come to her home,

I cannot deny everyday is like hell wondering if I am going to go through what you've been through, when I had my DLA awarded I was told it was for life, until Cameron and his boys decided to punish all who cannot work through ill health,

I used to be a nurse and had a full and happy life now I'm trapped in a body wrecked in pain 24/7 and now thanks to Cameron who gave that speech about his late son but who forgot to mention his son had 24/7 nursing paid by the tax payers! And saying he understood! Yeah right! All that man and his lackeys want is to get rid of us and proudly say told you so??

Personally I will fight til the end, this goverment should stop helping those who don't even live in this country and help us who really need the pittance they give us.

Sorry about the rant it's just so frustrating never knowing what is going to happen next.

I sincerely hope you get a positive outcome and I hope this goverment stop treating us as if we're all scrounging

• Posted

Well even if they did stop these payments to them they wouldn't give us any more.  They would use it to give their millionaire friends furthe tax cuts and give themselves bigger pay rises. 

Much more important than immigrants is the big companies and individuals,  who through tax loops which the Govt, are well of and refuse to close,  only paying a pittance in taxes.   I heard figures that it costs this country £120 bilion a year - more than enough to stop all the austerety measures!  

it has little to do with money though but the idealogy that all benefit claimants are scroungers.   x

• Posted

I worked from I was 14 until I officially retired at 60 ( would have stayed if fit) and in all that time I never claimed a penny....not even family allowance and now I am made to feel like a scrounger !!
  • Posted

I agree withwhat you say. Why spend all this money on assessing people like yu when it is obvious you should be entitled to PIP.

Hope you hasve your gallbladder removed soon. I had mline removed in April last year. If you are willing to have surgery at short notice if someone else cancels it may be worth mentioning that. In the meantime keep on a low fat diet that will help.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Thank you Sarah, am on low fat diet in fact have lost over 3 stone. They cannot operate until I come off the blood thinners after  my heart attack. Have had a few bad turns though....pain is excrucating !
  • Posted

I too am 67 (68 in June) and had the request to telephone them. I have been on DLA (with regular re-assessments) since 1995. For the first 5 years (High Mobility/Care) then on High Mobility/Middle Care.

I refused to speak over the phone with them (as there would be no record of what was said). I therefore requested the PIP1 form to fill in at home (it gives you more options on what you want to tell them).

Unfortunately, I waited for the PIP1 to arrive which it never did, despite a reminder letter to them. I received a letter from them telling me that my DLA was to stop - but still no PIP1 arrived. My DLA then stopped. 

I contacted the Help department of PIP and they told me that as I had not started the PIP claim by making a phone call and that it was more than 4 weeks after the deadline I have lost my DLA and I am now too old to claim PIP!!!

I have to be honest that leading up to all of this I had decided that I wasn't going to claim PIP anyway as I certainly did not want to get drawn into regular (every few years) of PIP re-assessment until I died.

So my decision was taken out of my hands.

It wasn't just the loss of the £120 a week DLA, but the other £159 a week extra (Pension Credit/Mortgage Interest payment & Council Tax benefit)

I am lucky in a way in that I could foresee what could happen with my Motability car back in July 2012. I sent it back after only 18 months use and bought my own car instead - at least they can't touch that!

I really feel for those that are over 65 and want/need the PIP money/award and because of that they will have to put up with years of re-assessment until they die. 

• Posted

Totally disgusting!! if  I remember rightly this new scheme was brought in to get people back into work.? Well I have worked for 46 years and paid handsomely into the governments coffers, think it is our turn now Les. If I were you I would appeal, can you now claim attendance allowance ?
    • Posted

Yes it is disgusting. PIP was brought in purely to save 20% of what was being paid out under DLA.

I worked from age 10!!! (well unofficially - we had a farm and it was all hands to the pumps so to speak - at 10 you were expected in those days to do what an adult would do), until I was 60 when due to poor health I was kicked out onto the scarp heap!

Never claimed a penny in benefits before, didn't know what benefits actually were. Never had a day unemployed and for all years until I was in my late 20's I had to carry out two full time jobs - farm work and a career elsewhere.

I agree, I too think that we are entitled to a little bit back and not have to undergo regular reassessments to see if our illnesses and disabilities have been cured and to get back to working!

Unfortunately that isn't the case. PIP is a 'working age' benefit and carries with that, the demands to have regular reassessments whilst receiving the award.

Yes I could claim Attendance Allowance, but given what is now being reported and likely to be made, that benefit is due to bite the dust in the same way that DLA has gone. Osbourne has listened to the local councils who are demanding more money to look after the elderly. Consequently The Attendance Allowance money is to be given to the councils to bolster up their needs first. I don't see the point in going through all of that - face to face assessment (like my dear wife had to have at home she had 3 attempts refused the first two, third one lucky - High rate indefinitely) only to find that the benefit gets cancelled. 

I now want the DWP to leave me alone, I have enough going on as it is trying to live and cope with everything that is going wrong with this deteriorating body of mine.

• Posted

If I were you I would appeal

One thing that I didn't mention that is rather important.

There are NO appeal rights for failing to respond to the request to make a telephone call to start a PIP claim off within the time given. You can apply for a Judicial Review however which costs mega money.

This is the same if you fail to ask for a Mandatory Review within 30 days of the decision notice - you do NOT have a right to appeal against that decision.

• Posted

I don't know about that, have never been in that situation. Good luck for the future anyway. C
    • Posted

Thanks, neither have I until I was told that I had to claim PIP.

It seems that the government are consistently putting more and more hurdles in place with the clear intention of making it more likely that you will fail at one or more of them. And if you do you have no right to have it questioned at an independent Tribunal. 

• Posted

What a shame they didnt explain it all starts with a phone call, surel there are records you were claiming dla, therefore if i was you i would appeal, if they didnt send the letter not your fault. i do know the phone call has to be done, its just part of the sstem, but if that was not made clear you should appeal, good luck

• Posted

Well I am still on DLA at the moment.

I am partly deaf so whatever anyone says to me on the phone I demand it in writing. So if al this starts by them phoning me they will have to write to me as well.

Atleast if they write you have proof of what they say.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi there is a text system for those hard of hearing so ask about that if you want.  x
    • Posted

No I was informed by the DWP help line that there was a choice - do the intial claim over the telephone or ask for the actual form PIP! to complete at home. I downloaded a sample copy of the PIP1 and it gives you a lot more room to answer the questions and more options that the DWP have to comply with - such as using evidence from previous DWP medical assessments. Over the phone you are asked if the DWP can use it. On the form it asks the same questions but also you have a third choice, 'yes you can use it' (you can define which DWP assessment you want them to use) but only after they have sent it to you for you to pick and choose which evidence they are allowed to use/see.In my case there is the full DLA re-assessment that took place in 2013, the IIDB assessment that took place in 2011 and the last ESA assessment that took place in 2012.

Additionally if you use the form YOU can dictate who the DWP should contact for evidence instead of allowing them to pick and choose.

I sent a letter and a reminder within the month allowed but they never got back to me. I then heard from them that they had closed the DLA claim down as I had not telephoned them to start the PIP claim.

Anyhow I was toying with the idea of not applying for PIP as I could not see me coping with re-assessments every few years until the day I die plus the strong possibility of MR's and Tribunal hearings along the way.

Far too much stress and anxiety involved for me. I thought about attendance Allowance, but that is now in the process of being scrapped by the government. So for those over 65 there are NO disability benefits you can claim (that is if you aren't on DLA/PIP already) 

• Posted

Hi me too. I am stuck with two aids to help. Rather annoying to say the least but better than nothing. I think I was lucky when I got mine - real state of the art - nobody can really notice them, and all on the NHS from the audio dept of the hospital. Mind you I always carry at least one spare battery around with me!!!

• Posted

So PIP, we lose 20% is that right as my daughter gets dla and its changing to PIP?
    • Posted

No, the government intend to save 20% in cash terms of what they were paying out for DLA. Overall many will get nothing under PIP and most will see a reduction in what they get.

However the system isn't working out that way for the government. Yes people are losing out but when you add to that the success rate at appeal of 57% and the actual cost of running the appeals, the overall position is such that the government aren't making much of a saving.

As with ESA, they expected to slash the IB budget. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way, hence why the government are intending to overhaul the ESA benefit to make it that much harder to get and keep.

I fully expect them to do the same with PIP - they aren't making the savings that they had hoped for. They have already started with looking at not awarding PIP for 'aids' in the way they have in the past. I wouldn't be surprised to see more tightening and more goalposts being moved as they did when they altered the walking distance from 50 metres down to 20 metres. One way or another, they will make savings if claimants continue to manipulate the rules for their own benefit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.