Have I had a seizure/fit??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday morning woke up to go to the toilet but before I could get there I felt a strange sensation in my body and my eyes went like tunnel vision, as if I was about to pass out (of which I have only done once a few years ago due to heat). I next remember dropping to the ground and hearing a very loud quick banging but I could not feel or see anything, the next thing I remember is lying on my boyfriends bed. My boyfriend recalls the event as me collapsing on the ground with my eyes open, where I then repeatedly started to smash my head against the radiator behind me (the banging I could hear) before shaking and 'fitting' for 10-15 seconds and then remaining unresponsive for a further 10-15 seconds. When I came too I had no recollection of what happened and was very panicked and scared. I have never experienced anything like this before and am unsure if this was a seizure or not?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Bethan

If you collapsed and banged your head followed by fitting then your boyfriend should have called an ambulance.

I suggest going to your GP and take your boyfriend with you who saw what happened.

Hope you get it sorted

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, we realise now we should've contacted for help sooner. I spent the rest of the day in bed asleep and just feeling generally off, so I decided to attend a walk in centre this morning to be on the safe side. I was told straight away to go to A&E as it sounded like I had had a fit and would need to have tests as it was the first time it had happened. I went straight to A&E where I was seen by a nurse who quite frankly made me feel 100x worse than when I had gone in. I was reluctant to attend A&E initially as I felt that it wasn't a real emergency but did so after medical instruction. After explaining to the nurse what had happened she simply said 'why are you here' and I replied I was told to come here immediately, to which she responded you've just fainted you can go home. I am quite an anxious person and clearly was panicking about the situation anyway and her attitude to it did not help. She cut off any other details I attempted to add and preceeded to ask if I had wet myself or bitten my tongue during the episode to which I replied no and that I could not remember it. She said because of this that it was not a fit or seizure (I do not know what classifies a seizure but I did not think these two symptoms were essential). She took my blood pressure which were both high and she said this was probably because I was coming down with a virus. And that was all she did, no other questions or tests, due to my panicked state she reluctantly asked if I would like to see a doctor but by this stage I had been made to feel so unwelcome that I wanted to leave. I just wanted a second opinion as my boyfriend is adamant that this wasn't just someone fainting (I am not questioning the diagnosis of this nurse I am sure she is highly qualified and very good at her job) thanks

• Posted

Dear Bethan,

Hi, Mary here. You had a seizure and have started down the long road of NEAD. Get the tests done, EEG, MRI,CT... and so on. I have been there, read the book, saw the movie and am wearing the t-shirt. A seizure is uncontrolled moments. Hold in there, you are not alone. Want to talk, I'm here for you?

• Posted

Have been to gp for a second opinion after going to A&E and have been told just to see how it goes now, if it does happen again to go in for bloodwork but they have said it should hopefully just be a one off so I guess I will just have to wait and see... Thanks for the advice and help

• Posted

Dear Bethan,

Hi, I do hope that the seizure you had will only be a one time happening to you.

I'm still hear to talk if you need to. The best to you-Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.