Haven't gone in almost 9 days....

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys!

This is my first post here and I'm not too sure of what to expect.

My name is Amy, a Canadian native living Nicaragua for a while.

I'm 26, a healthy female with a normal weight (5'2 and 150-120 lbs). I've been having a problem off and on for a couple of years. Its been 8 days now without a bowel movement. I'm doing everything I can think of. I eat a healthy vegan diet, rich with fiber. I'm drinking 2 - 3 L of water per day, not stressed at all. I started to take a natural laxative last week, but it didn't work. I went to the pharmacy and got some normal laxatives...and still nothing. I then did a fleet enema 2 days ago and still nothing. For the past 2 days I've been taking Milk of Magnesia (the most that I'm allowed to take) and still nothing at all. I still eat and feel hungry, but I'm having no relief and I'm getting a bit nervous.

Only in the past 8 - 9 days I've had a couple of moments where I feel that I need to go. One was a semi-normal (but very small) bowel movement and the other was pure liquid (still a small amount).

I've gone to the hospital when this happened before (around 5 months ago), they took an x-ray which showed me incredibly backed up, but after 4 enemas and no results, they sent me home. I feel like there is a real problem with my intestines/bowels and I want to find a long-term solution to prevent this from happening again.

The last thing I should point out, which confuses me the most is, I feel like this only happens before my period. I know its common to become constipated the week before your period. HOWEVER, After having my period for 13 years, I still never get a regular one (and I'm not on any b/c or anything). My period comes maybe every month, maybe every 2 or 3. It's very random. My period is late, as normal. But when this constipation began 9 days ago, so did the signs of an oncoming period...sore breasts, being irritated and getting really hot). I feel like maybe my horomones are in chaos and my entire body just hangs on to stuff for some reason instead of letting it go. After my period, I tend to go back to having normal bowel movements.

ANYONE have any ideas/input/advice?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

there u go u said it it's probably a hormonal thing but you know I've suffered with this and that we r females we are more prone to these things especially when there is constipation that is sudden it's probably some bowel inflammation and when u have constipation its always wise to look into all pelvic organs together cos they are somehow related 

I had constipation and back and body aches for long when i got tested i had a chronic uti that was the reason of everything 

• Posted

Interesting. I have been having issues with my bladder (a burning sensation with pressure) since this constipation started. How did you get diagnoses? Just with a general doctor? Also, how did they treat you? Are you better now?
    • Posted

what happens is that when your constipated your bowel distends and presses against the bladder then urine will stay inside more than it's supposed to causing it's wall to irritate and inflame then develop to a UTI and even after the treatment of UTI the pressure pain will remain cos the wall is irritated already and you'll feel how painful it is when it gets full cos urine is burning against the wall now regarding the constipation yo should rule out with your doctor some causes of constipation like parasites or thyroid issues of vitamin D deficiency .....etc then once everything is fine

start taking probiotics they are the best thing and you will see a change even the bladder issues will tend to resolve

good luck    

• Posted

I am sorry to hear all this stories. Can you marieelle199 tel me please  what kind of probiotic works for you? Thank you very much !
  • Posted

I'm sorry I can't offer you any help but something you said had me saying WHAT???  You said "...but after 4 enemas and no results, they sent me home."  THEY SENT YOU HOME?

Are they crazy?  Why didn't they keep looking for answers?

Tom

• Posted

hi amiemarjorie, any updates? i agree with tom the hospital should have not sent you home to do more investigating in my unporfessional opinion.
  • Posted

take dulcolax 

i'm the same without them

they're the only thing i've found that actually work.

some other laxatives help, but if youve stored crap up for 9 days you really want to just get it out. it will be very very hard and painful and come out really slowly if you don't take something for it.

+ drink lots of water, exercise lots 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.