Having A blip...I hope trying 5htp

Posted , 4 users are following.

done citalopram..it worked. On it 6  months. Took a year to get off it 

done CBT. That worked 

tried st jons wort...not sure

Not feeling right again. Is it SAD ?

am trialling 100 mg 5 htp in the mornings. Day 3

has anyone had any experience of this? When I was on cit someone did mention its use

any info / support appreciated 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gillian

Apparently some people use I-tyrosine with the 5 HTP. Hopefully someone will confirm this.

• Posted

Yes I'm on 5-HTP and have taken it before - both successful times.  Take it with l-tyrosine too - need to be taken together.

I recovered on Citalopram though when I stop meds I always feel 'meh'....... so taking 5-HTP helps a lot.  I took it once before but had to restart Citalopram due to the stress of family illness, so have just spent a year coming off it and returned once again to 5-HTP and l-tyrosine in August.  Am doing fine still.

K x

• Posted

Hi katecogs,

What is 5 HTP and l tyrosine? Is it prescription or over the counter?

• Posted

They're over the counter meds.  5-HTP is a natural SSRI and l-tyrosine helps supports it (I'd need to look it up in my book again to see exactly how).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.