Having a tough withdrawal from Zopiclone

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started taking 7.5mg in November and got a decent sleep for the first time in years. Started taking x2 7.5mg per night to help through a tough period at work. This caused me some anxiety in the day and nulled the effect if the Sertraline I am taking. Was gutted to find out I could not take Z long term but I took them for longer than I should to keep myself sane during a stressful time.

I went cold turkey last Wednesday and am now in the depths of withdrawal today being the worst. Sleep has been intermittent, luckily I am not working at the moment so I can keep sleeping all morning.

The anxiety, feeling of indigestion and general feeling of confusion and surreality is awful. Am hoping it will pass soon as I am keen to avoid going back I onto the drug again.

I have colitis which is flaring up too due to the anxiety. Am hoping this will calm when the side effects does down.

Cannot sleep tonight so happy to chat if anyone has any advice x

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hope you are feeling better. Zopiclone should be stopped slowly.
    • Posted

Sorry. It is a good idea to tapper off slowly by reducing the drug a small amount for at least two weeks at a time. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Glenda

I believe you can taper or go cold turkey on the amounts I was taking. I tapered slowly from 15mg to 7.5mg then hit the CT as I simply want to come of as quickly as possible.

Thankfully sleep has not been to much of an issue but more the feeling of awfulness. Am hoping it will start to subside today/tomorrow as it will be 7 days 😐

• Posted

You must decrease it gradually even to the point of cutting it in half, slowly, very slowly.

It is a highly addictive drug and has to be treated with respect.

I wish I had never been given them as you gain a tolerance and have to increase the dose, the end result could be an accidental overdose. Do it at your own pace

Good luck 😊 x

• Posted

I do not want to go back onto the drug after a week without it, I am going to see this out. Will never take another one again. I was on it for only 12 weeks so I am hoping my tolerance will not be as high as people who have been on it for years.

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.