having my hysterectomy done on Thursday and I'm getting scared now.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello I'm 31 and having my op on Thursday, for 11 years I have had really bad periods every 2 weeks and the pain is unbearable. My surgeon has tried everything for the bleeding I had a nova sure 4 years ago! That worked for 3 years but then my whole grew back and the pain is even worse than before so my surgeon decided that the best way forward was to have a hysterectomy.

I'm very nervous and even thought about cancelling it but I know that it needs to be done. I'm worried about the recovery and how I'm gonna feel when I get home from hospital. As I'm only young I haven't been able to talk to anyone that has had this preseager for any advice so any advice would be very welcome. 

X nikki x

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

hi nikki all i can say is go for it ,your be fine honest,i have had 3 ops in 2 years had my ovaries removed etc ,i have just had biopsys done await results and even if they come back okay i want an hysterectomy as fed up with pain etc,honest the care given is great,all you must do is rest after ,i had my tummy cut with 18staples and honest i was fine,trust me hun your be ok,just means rest and befor long your be ok,i promise ,keep in touch and all the best mags smilex
  • Posted

hi nikki i had my operation done 3weeks ago today, like you i was really scared an very nervous, I had a vaginal hysterectomy, they took my cervix and womb because i had a prlapse and suffered for years with the pain, When i came round i felt groggy but the pain wasn'tas bad as i thought it would be, They gave me morphine, ibropen, the only pain i had was due to not going to the toilet for a poo, crampin pains, But fingers crossed i feel like new, I get the odd cramping pains now but nothing like it was, I feel like i can do anything, but i do forget that i can't do somethings, I wasnt cut they did it all vaginally,

good luck and you will be fine its not as bad as you think

xx

• Posted

Hi nikki

i had my hysterectomy 10 yrs ago at the age of 28 it was the right thing to do at the time i had endometriosis and fibroids and some cancer concerns. I had a total abdo hysterectomy (ovaries and womb) which kickstarted menopause. Its been a roller ciaster i won't lie. You have to keep in my mind why youre having it done and try not to look back with rise tinted glasses, easier said than done i know. 

When i had my op and becasue i was so young i was given counselling, is this something you could do? Talking to someone like that can help. Also, if you ever need to talk, im free, i honestly know how you feel, ive lived it for 10yrs. 

Hope everything goes ok xx

• Posted

Hi Nikki

I had my op in July, I had keyhole hysterectomy and cervix removal. I was scared but no need, went to sleep woke up 12 hours later I felt fine, didn't even need pain killers, just a bit slower walking. Back to normal after a few days x

• Posted

Thanks for all your kind words. I've woke up today and I'm on over drive. X

• Posted

Thank you everyone. I'm just getting ready to leave for the hospital. I feel so sick with nerves just can't wait to get it over with now x
  • Posted

I was 32 when I had a vaginal hysterectomy ( uterine prolapse when carrying son) with anterior repair at same time. I had no problems after surgery, no pain, no bleeding, everything was fine from what I remember.

Different story this time round though, 12 years on and I've just had to have a posterior prolapse repair. I've had pain, loads of bleeding, 2 emergency surgeries on top of the prolapse repair in a space of 2 weeks, don't think I've got any blood left!

ive been given loads of lovely advice by ladies on this site as I posted my story last night.

Stay positive Hun, be strong and you will get through it.

• Posted

Hello m having my op in a few weeks just waiting to hear from the hospital , i was meant to have my op on 3 November but while i was waiting for the trolly to take me to get my op they canceled , and i was so scared that morning now i have to go through it all again  . Iam disabled and need to use a wheel chair and im worried about how im going to move around after my op as i know u need to move about to grt rid of traped wind any one here can put my mind at rest abou this op  thank you
  • Posted

Hi Nikki how did your op go? ive been told ive got to have everything out and im really scared. Is really that bad?I did the silly thing by looking on google and scared myself to death im 48 and they fouund overactive cells in my womb so they are taking the lot out . I know its got to be done but just so scared of how im going to feel when i first wake up . please tell me how u got on 

Paula xxx

• Posted

Hi Paula 

Its natural to be scared but no need. 

I went in, was put to sleep then when I came round felt groggy but no pain went home following morning didnt even need pain killers.

Unfortunately for me I got an infection so over a week after had to stay in hospital for iv drugs but all fine and this doesnt usually happen. 

really try not to worry and good luck x

• Posted

Hi Nikki how did your surgery go im having a total in 4 days and im very scared now  please tell me how much pain where u in and how long u were in hospital thankyou Paula x
  • Posted

Hi Nicola, although I'm a lot older than you (47) I had my full hysterectomy on June 1st. Everything is very daunting and like you I was really scared and thought about cancelling my family talked me out of it and I knew it really was for the best I'm so glad I went ahead, for a week I was just zonked but as long as you take your pain relief you will be ok I basically slept a lot! Apart from all the normal stuff we are told to expect, looking back at my life pre op, I'm so glad I had it done, apart from the odd mood swings hot flushes emotional break downs! I did the right thing! You will feel much better if only because of your symptoms beforehand, don't cancel, really it does help and will make your quality of life much better!! Good luck and I hope I've helped if only a little? Take care and let us know how your op goes xxxx

• Posted

Sorry nicola I'm new to this site and seen your post was a year ago? How are you feeling? Are you glad you went ahead? Xx take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.