Having Staples Removed following thr

Posted , 8 users are following.

13 days post op and what a difference;  I feel clear headed now my medication is sorted, i am taking Ibrubfen and Paracetamol only,  I am up , making bed, did ironing today once my husband had made me safe and secure!!!  have been for a short outside stroll and climbing stairs with ease;

My question is regarding the staples removal, the nurse is supposed to be taking them out today.....  does it hurt ?  will I have to keep my wound covered and will my leg that is only slightly swollen reduce back to normal now ........  any help would be appreciated thanks

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

They usually want to keep the wound open after removal. I only had butterfly strips on mine so cant say if it hurt.

If the wound is healing and dry they want you to not cover it to quicken the recovery

• Posted

Hi pollye,

I had my staples removed a few weeks ago and it didn't hurt but you could feel it. It was a relief to get them out.

• Posted

Exactly my thoughts too,  after the op it seems like such a trivial concern and I am just going to view it as a further step towards being normal again, I hope you are now on the mend x
  • Posted

Hi Polly I had 43 staples for my first op ( posterior approach so big wound ) nurse took every second one out the first visit and the others 3 days later . As a nurse I've taken thousands out of other people ! As long as they take their time it shouldn't hurt, the odd one can be a bit stingy but nothing awful and you are allowed to say stop for a minute please if you need to . If wound is lovely and dry you won't need a dressing , sometimes there can be a bit of bleeding leakage so you would have a dressing , and yes the swelling will go down but can take some weeks - I'm out my baggy trackie bottoms and back in my jeans now ( at 8 weeks) if you are worried about the staples just tell your nurse - lots of people are xxxx
    • Posted

Thank you for your lovely response,  I am fairly hard core so hopefully it will just be a relief to get them out,   Glad you are back in your jeans, a woman after my own heart xx
  • Posted

Hi Polly,

I had a bit of bleeding when my staples were removed so I had to have a dressing on.  Some came out easily, some needed a little tug.

You sound as though you're doing really well biggrin 

• Posted

Thank you for yor response,  yes now my body is free of the opiate drugs which made me so ill I am well on the mend ,  I feel very positive and am looking forward to getting back on two legs without sticks and enjoying my shoes again.

I hope you are on the road to recovery as well xx

• Posted

Hi Pollye, 

just checking in with you  ---- 

it is funny (ti me) how we (incl. me) can be so wimpy about having staples removed after a major and brutal surgery - 

Even with 2nd THR I was so not looking forward to the removal of staples - and I knew what to expect ....

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

It's the tinzaparin injections that I hate each time , I,ve given thousands but hate doing it to me ! So much so that other half did them this time - although his technique wasn't brilliant 😐
    • Posted

oh bibi, I know - 2 rounds of 6 weeks Fragmin injections ... now ample belly still feels bruised under layer of "skin"  - 
  • Posted

Huh, 

I wonder what I wrote that shooted it into Alan the moderator ....

I am just checking in with you ... 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Staples out for me happened on day 17. A milestone day. No pain but a few of then stung a bit. A small bit of oozing but no more tape. It felt great but did itch a few days. Posterior approach with about a 14" scar.
    • Posted

All 32 staples taken out,,,  absolutely no problems at all, feel amazing and the nurse confirmed all is clean.......... Another milestone and still only 13 days post op...  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.