Having trouble with car lights at night

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have had Meniere's Disease for many years and manage it with a very strict diet.  Lately, I find that when I'm in a car (especially as a passenger) at night the headlights from opposite side traffic cause me to feel that I will have an attack.  I manage it by closing my eyes.  Also, even during the day, if there is a lot of traffic in the opposite direction I find I can't "manage" all the stimulation.  Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I feel your pain on this issue it does me that same way. Even light poles going by.
    • Posted

Daniel, thanks for your response.  Have you found anything that helps?  
    • Posted

Nothing other than trying to stay focused straight ahead some days it doesn't bother me at all then other days it's bad especially at night.

• Posted

Yes, I have found the same thing.  It is worse at night.  Again, thank you.  It always helps to feel validated by others with the same experience.
  • Posted

Hi Naomi,  I find that when I am at a very busy intersection, with multiple cars turning, I have to focus on something else, or try to.  It sometimes causes me to have anxiety waiting for what seems to be a very long light to change!  The constant motion in different directions is a real challenge with Ménière's.  I don't drive much at night and haven't been a passenger at night much.  I usually do deep breathing if I am getting anxious about an imminent attack.  It does work, for the most part.  Hope it can work for you.

• Posted

Louise, thank you for your response.  Yes, I find that deep breathing helps a lot.  I've been keeping my eyes closed (as a passenger, obviously) at night which also helps.  During the day I find that staring at one thing steadily helps.

Thanks again...as I wrote to someone else, it helps to feel validated about symptoms that non-Meniere's sufferers find strange.

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, I find it very difficult to concentrate whilst driving at night as the glare from the lights of the oncoming traffic really blinds me. It feels like everyone has full beams on. I find myself blinking alot to refocus my eyes and concentrate really hard on holding my position on my side of the road. I have to admit I try and avoid driving at night and try to get home before dark as I find it too stressful and upsetting. S.

• Posted

Thank you SharnH.  I too avoid driving at night.  This site is so helpful as it validates what we experience.  I feel less alone in my struggles knowing my symptoms are part of the MD syndromw.  Thank you.
  • Posted

Your vestibular nerve is acting up, it is kind of like motion sickness. I usually treat it with an over the counter motion sickness medication. I used to have to take them all the time and over the years it has become less and less although I still make a point to keep them on hand. If the glare bothers you, they actually make these sunglasses that are for the glare (yellow lenses). You do have to watch what you are doing with your eyes while in a moving car, try not to look around too much or watch the side of the road. Your brain is having problems because you are sitting still but your eyes are telling it another story.
    • Posted

Thank you for your helpful explanation.  Can you please tell me what medication you are referring to?  I generally cannot take them as I have strange reactions to medication.  I control my MD with a strict very low-salt, no alcohol and no caffeine diet.  I don't take medication and have not (thank goodness) had a vertigo attack in about two years.  I appreciate your responding to me.

• Posted

I use dimenhydrinate 50 mg (generic name). I don't know what country you are in but here in the US you find it pretty easy. It is labeled as an antiemetic and is thought to inhibit vestibular stimulation which is the nerve also coming off of the cochlea. It has also been used to reduce congestion of the ears. It can cause drowsiness so it is one of those things you don't want to be driving with until you know how you will react to it. For me, it worked way better than the meclizine I was given.

• Posted

Once again, thank you for your response.  I have never been able to use any of these kinds of drugs...even when I cut the dosage I am unable to function because they cause severe drowsiness.  
    • Posted

I am sorry. Have you looked into vestibular rehab? Your brain basically has to relearn how to read the input it is receiving. I used it , although not intensly, and am now able to ride my bike again. Granted, I will never try mountain trail riding but it was big for me to be able to get on a bike without feeling like I was going to fall over.
    • Posted

Yes I was doing it last year and it really helped but my insurance changed so I had to stop going but I have new insurance now and I'm supposed to start back going tomorrow morning

• Posted

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have been advised to do this but never followed through.  Perhaps I should.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.