Hay fever

Posted , 4 users are following.

It's that time of the year again spring round the corner and so is all the different pollens about to play hell with asthma what's the best way to tackle hay fever before it spoils the spring/summer any ideas please

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nigel, I was advised to start taking an antihistamine from now onwards because pollen can start having its effects from March onwards depending on the weather. I had once been prescribed cetirizine so rather than pay prescription fees I discovered that you can buy it online (I use Amazon) to not only buy in bulk but at a much cheaper cost - less than £1 for 30! It was highlighted on the Martin Lewis Money Show that you can buy EXACTLY the same products as prescribed but a lot cheaper that way & you if you check the product number you'll find its the same e.g. cheap ibuprofen versus nurofen = the same product with a £3 price difference!

• Posted

I suffer from flower pollen in the summer. It is only a very slight allergy but I was told by my asthma nurse to take an antihistamine all year round - even in the winter to build up an immunity to the effects in the summer.
    • Posted

I must admit I did think about taking it all year round as have been advised to take it for approx 8 months anyway plus it keeps the itching of my eczema at bay too so I may join you in that now!
  • Posted

I know its allergy season and I take my allergy medicine religiously, and to stay away from triggers that will bug my asthma. But I love spring time and the outdoors. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.