Head Sweating and Vitamin D

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello all!  I also suffer with excessive head sweats and a few of other conditions mentioned in others posts, including Fybromyalgia and depression.  Has anyone looked into Vitamin deficiency?  My Drs. are blaming it on Cymbalta.  The sweating is getting so bad I have had to decrease dosage of Cymbalta (which does effect my mood and pain).  Just wondering if any of you have gone the Vitamin avenue.  Thank you!

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ask your dr for iron studies tests and pituitary gland hormone tests to eliminate haemochromatosis and in the second case, something going on with your pituitary gland.  That has been my experience with those symptoms.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response.  I will ask for those studies and probably refer to Endo.  Wil post outcome end of Aug/September.
  • Posted

Hi!

Increased sweating, facial flushing and night sweats are indeed side effects of Duloxetine. You can ask your dr for a full blood check and make sure your Vitamin D levels are normal. Vitamin D is found to be deficient in a massive number of people, and is relatively easy to correct. If your levels are low, then your dr can prescribe you high dose Vitamin D supplements which may enable you to decrease your Cymbalta dose over a short time period (under drs supervision).

Lower dosage will mean less incidence and severity of the sweats you are experiencing.

If you do get a blood test done and your Vit D levels are low, please keep us updated, as I have recommended this to my patients with much success.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

So does a deficiency in Vitamin B12.  A full blood check does not include an iron studies test, only serum iron and Hb which do not tell the full story.

Vit D3 drops are more effective than tablets, as are vit B12 injections.  Some people just do not absorb b12 and vit D in tablet form.

• Posted

Thank you for respomse.  I went through a high dose Vitamin D treatment last year and have been taking supplements.  Perhaps I am one of those who do not absorb well. I have appt. end of August and will call today to ask for blood work order to review at that time. Will let you know outcome.
    • Posted

Hello,

Although I have not had updated test - I did learn my last stint with Vitamin D deficieny my level was 16 and after 12 weeks of 50,000u weekly it increased to 23 at which time I was advised to take daily dose.  (hard to do when it upset stomach)  Would a level of 23 even be sufficient to show any improvements?  What should I aim for the level to be to see if sweating subsides?  Thank you!

• Posted

What dosage should my doctor prescribe? My vitamin D level is 27.1 and he told me to just get an "over the counter" vitamin D3 (5,000 iu). Also, is D3 the same as D?

Thanks!

• Posted

My dr discovered my vit D was very low even though I was doubling up on my vit D tablets.  She put me on to a practitioners range of vit D3 forte drops.  My D levels increased dramatically.  They are better absorbed as some of us do not always absorb vitamins in tablet form.

She put me on 4 drops per day (drop them on the back of your hand and lick it off so that you do not waste any).  I have since read that 6 drops per day are optimal.

I just checked my bottle (little) and each drop is 1000iu, so it sounds like your dr is suggesting 5 drops for you.

If your pharmacist is difficult about selling it to you because you have not had a (paid) session with their alternative health advisor (a practitioner), ask you dr for a script to start you off.

The difference?  I have never investigated because they really do work.

• Posted

I took cymbalta for years and never sweated from it. I do have Vitamn def bc of gastric by pass but none of my Drs say it's not do to that either but I might be going through early menopause ? So I don't know what it's caused from. Mine just can on all of a sudden that's what got me puzzled

• Posted

Are you still on Cymbalta or it's generic Duloxetine?  I'm not a Dr. and am finding I must be my own advocate. With Vitamin defiency are you experiencing any other symptoms associate with the particular defiency?  If you are going through menopause have you checked with gyno for hormone levels to see if this can be attributed to sweating.  You could be having hot flashes.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hello everyone yeah I had bloodwork done to check hormones and not menopause. The only symptoms that I had as far as Vitamn def was I craved crushed ice and tired. I don't know what's causing the severe sweating. I don't sweat durning the night I actually get cold and sleep under the covers. I've tried paying attention to what I was doing at the times that it would start but it's so random really couldn't relay it to any certain thing. I'm still trying to figure it out. I agree with one persons post , these Drs don't care anymore you almost have to do all the research and almost have to diagnosis yourself and then go to the dr and tell them what it might be. I couldn't tell you how many times I've done that.

• Posted

cfant, Have you researched to see what it say between the 2 and which one causes sweating / or could cause sweating as one of the side effects ? It does sound like it may be a side effect of medicine but were you taking the Cymbalta before you were diagnosed with a Vitamin Deficiency ? If you were did you experience sweating before the diagnosis of having Vitamin Deficiency ? What are you taking for the Vitamin Deficiency ?
    • Posted

eva98035 I really don' recall.  I've been on Cymbalta/Duloxetine for a long time.  Probably close to 12 years.  I went through menopause early 40's so it had nothing to do with that.  I have just finished 4 weeks of B12 shots and no change.  Also am taking 50K of Vitamin D for 12 weeks.  I have been looking more into combination of drugs in addition to BP meds. I will be tested for Vitamins again in December, then I will pursue BP meds if Vitamins are at decent level. Thank you for your interest in the subject and hope you don't suffer with it!

• Posted

I suffered with excessive sweating for years on end and didn't know why, I thought at first it was hormonal but all test said no and I had even changed my hormones to see if it would help from pill to patch because I know that sometimes pills don't last long enough to pass through the stomach with all the acids the stomach has and then one day I got to thinking about side effects of medicines and I decided to do some research and see what all side effects my med's have and I found out my blood pressure had side effects associated with excessive sweating especially in combination with some other med's. I was on Metoprolol for years which is a Beta Blocker and I saw where it could cause sweating and inability to loose weight which is one thing I had been trying to get under control for a long time but I switched to Norvasc for blood pressure and it was like turning a running water faucet off no more sweating for no reason. I now feel like a more normal person because I don't go around sweating in an airconditioned building just sitting there feeding someone. If I sweat now it's because it's hot and that's what your supposed to do to cool down. I wish you all the best of luck in finding the answer to all the problems you are having. Keep us updated on your findings. God Bless you..

• Posted

Thank you!  I can't imagine not having to worry about when the sweat will start and have my "sweat rag" handy!  My daughter is getting married next year, so this is really what has promtped me to get this under control.....I wll definitely research the BP meds and get in touch with doc.......I do not want to take any more drugs to fix this issue, which is what is being suggested, in addition to Botox.......Glad to hear you had success in changing meds

• Posted

I figure it's worth looking up and maybe it can be simple if the side effects are what's causing this. I hope you can get an easy answer to your sweating torment and congrats on your daughters upcoming marriage. Let me know how your search goes.

• Posted

Thank you I appreciate it. I went to my Dr and one the dexamethisone was extremely to high for my adrenal gland def so they changed it to .05mg but today I sweated everytime I moved completely soaking wet. So I don't know. Today was the worst it's ever been. Usually when I break out into a sweat and I lay down, it calms down and I usually fine after that,but today like I said it was all day. It's strange how once I have an episode and it goes away then I fine. I m going to email my Dr tomorrow and let her know this is happening and about to day and see what she says. I will keep y'all posted.

• Posted

Lisa,

Hun doctors just don't realize how dreadful it is to live life day by day being drenched all the time with sweat and it's miserable when you go through life wondering why do I do this, also it's embarassing to not be able to wear makeup and do things that other people can do because your always so exhausted from all the sweating you do, your just worn out I know I was when I was sweating and there was really no reason why, sitting there feeding someone in an air conditioned building and it's like your siting out in the sun in 99% weather with sweat dripping off you, or you say it's hot in here and everyone looks at you and says I don't know why your hot it's kinda cold in here and your thinking "whatever", then when you finally come to the root of why your hot and you take that outta the equation and your thinking they must have really thought I was crazy all those times I said I was hot. I really hope you do get some relief from all this because it will change your life and you will feel normal again not that your not normal but I know I felt abnormal because I was the only one sweating and then after I figured out why I'm so relieved and feel so much better I want this for everyone who has this problem for them to be able to live their lives normally. I wish you all the best of luck and hope you get your answers hun.

• Posted

I suffered from this for years, and at 41 got blood work and my vitamin d level was a 10! Lowest my dr had ever seen. I had pain in my lower back, sore muscles and joints, always lathargic and would sweat from my forehead when others were cold! Started taking 50k iu supplements 12 weeks ago and try to get 20 min son using d minder app, and I can't wait to get my blood drawn again to see where I'm at as I feel much better and sweat much less than I use too. The sweating was the worst part, felt like a freak at any wedding business meeting etc cuz any trigger of nerves would really set it off! I highly recommend d minder app to anyone wh I needs to monitor and get more sun/vd3

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.