headache and contraception

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive had a constant headache for over a year now and i have been on and off the pill, it has messed up my periods and i would like to start the injection but worried this might not help my head, is anyone else doing this combination? please help because this is putting pressure on my relationship

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Which pill are you taking?
    • Posted

the estrogen only? i dont actually know, its the one that they give you if you have a background of headaches or migraine, because the other one is a no no.
  • Posted

Many forms of birth control will mess with a woman's hormones causing things like estrogen dominance which can lead to things like PMS and who knows what else. I have had a constant headache and lethargy for a year myself. I was on the IUD for about 3 years. I later found out that copper (which was in the IUD) is bound with estrogen so I most likely had estrogen dominance because I had the worst PMS of my life which I had never used to before. I would get incredibly angry and emotional during the second half of my cycle. I wish there were more forms of birth control that didn't mess with a woman's body as much because from what I have learned is that we have many more sex hormones than men and we have to keep them in delicate balance. What I have done is I read a book to understand and take charge of my own fertility. I then purchased a lady comp that reads my basil tempurature every morning to tell me if I am, might be, or am not firtile. Then I use a diaphragm or femcap as a barrier and use contragel as a spermicide because it does not contain a toxic substance called nonoxyl-9 which is what most of the spermicides have (I live in the US so I'm sorry if any of these names are unfamiliar). On the firtile days I use condoms. I probably have a thyroid problem as well as a methylation problem which is a gene issue that makes it hard for your body to get rid of chemicals and toxins as easily. One trick for estrogen dominance is to eat one carrot a day in between meals and the carrot will absorb extra estrogen that needs to be carried out. Stay hydrated and have a bowel movement every day(or just about) because that's how your body detoxifies its self. If you are constipated you can reabsorb things your body does not want. Good luck.
    • Posted

thanks for the advice. yes just a few language barrier problems there but i get where you're coming from, maybe this is something i can look into, i dont seem to get pms problems very bad but it is still very useful to me, thanks
  • Posted

Lauren, i have migraines and my doctor actually put me on projesterone pill, and then put a mirena iud in. HUGE MISTAKE, it made things way worse, i tell ya, but to your point about combination. do you remember if headache started soon after first starting pill for the first time?  When i was on pill if i forgot i knew by midnight cos i'd always get a migraine so bad nothing helped and it lasted 3 days evrytime.
    • Posted

I think it might be the progestorone pill actually, the combination is the one you shouldnt have with headaches i believe. No i have never had any connection between taikng the pill and my menstrual cycle effecting my headaches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.