Headache for 5 days!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started with the symptoms of a migraine on Monday. My face goes numb on one side. Ever since then I've had a headache everyday it's not lots of pain but just there all the time. I'm taking paracetamol, but it's not making a difference. What could it be?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes definitely sounds like a migraine. Some take longer to go than others. I'm into my third day of one, First day and a half bedridden, now up but ice packed around head and neck and it just won't go. Paracetamol will not help, it's just not strong enough. Sometimes imigran or one of the other triptan medications can help. Imigran injections are better than tablets. They are available on prescription. But unfortunately with some migraines nothing will shift it and it will just go when it goes. Keep your chin up... it will go.
  • Posted

Paracetamol doesn't seem to do much for a migraine. You could try Migraleve. The old Syndol used to work well as they contained a muscle relaxant but that's not in the reformulated ones.

make sure you're not drinking any caffeine, or anything like orange juice. Lots of water. Ice packs sometimes work, wrapped in tea towels or similar. 

It it will go but  very debilitating.

• Posted

I have been experiencing the same thing since Friday...pressure in my head, sensitivity to light and sound, feeling drained of energy, pain on mostly one side of my head as well....pain killers do not help much either...hope you get better soon!
  • Posted

I had the exact same issue for 3 weeks. Paracetemol won't treat it, in fact, it can make your symptoms worse.

I've just been to see my GP a few days ago and he believes it is what's known as cluster headaches. They can start for no reason and can last for weeks at a time then people can be in remission for weeks, months or years at a time.

I'm now on medication to treat the migraines should they start (Imigran) and meds to take at night to prevent them from starting in the first place (Pizotifen Hydrogen Malate) and so far it is proving very successful.

Advice given by my GP:

Make a headache diary if you can, just in case there are any triggers that are setting off your headaches such as particular foods etc.

Drink plenty of water - aim for 2 litres a day

It could also be something as simple as needing glasses or an updated glasses prescription so I'd recommend an eye test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.