Headaches after sleeping in?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a part time job that requires me to work 20 hours a week for four days a week. Its a set schedule- thursday through sunday that requires me to wake up early. So on mondays, I like to sleep in. I sleep for around 10-12 hours, and when I wake up I'll either have an immediate headache or it'll set in a few hours after I wake. It can progress into a migraine or just a bothersome headache all day. I dont understand whats wrong. Its anoyying because I want to sleep and sleep well during the night, but I wake up with these bad aches. Please help! Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. That would be annoying! I love my sleep & sleep in whenever I can! I too wake up with headaches but I've had them all day everyday for years. Quute severe when I wake up & then get worse over the day. I have tension in my neck & shoulders & apparently grind my teeth in my sleep. U could be doing the same? Is your jaw sore & all around up from your jaw through to your temples & forehead as well as your whole head too of course? Tension & stress cause this as well as headaches & like myself, tension in the neck & shoulders which are sore from being so tight & pulling on the muscles joining up in the head. I've had scans & they found slight degeneration in my neck bones but that wouldn't be causing the agonising pain in my neck & head. A good therapudic pillow us necessary too. Hope u feel well & headache free soon! Nothing worse I don't think. smile
    • Posted

Thank you so much, I think your advice may help! And no, I dont grind my teeth. I'll go to the doc and see if there is anything I can do about the tension in my neck and shoulders- maybe that will help me relax a little and maybe eleviate my head pain. smile
  • Posted

Hi Jessica. I before my constant headache if I ever slept in past a certain time I too would wake up with a really bad headache or migraine. With me I think it was the fact I would often overheat in bed. Maybe this could be a factor? Or try opening a window and getting fresh air in the room? Hope

This helps

• Posted

That's a pleasure! smile My doctor prescribed me amitriptyline which helps with sleep, pain & has a mild antidepressant, also pregabalin which helps with nerve pain & I take Panadol/codeine for pain relief. I also go to the Chiro & have physio for the muscle tension. My physio also does acupuncture which really helps my neck & shoulder tension & pain & recently put me on to using a Tens machine which is an electrode pulse unit that has 4 sticky pads with wire joining onto a battery unit that pulsates into your muscles & nerves. I have been using it for a few weeks now & I think its fantastic! It really helps with the tight muscles in my shoulders & neck & reduces the pain which also reduces my headache pain too! I'd love to have massages often as I think they'll help a lot too but all these things cost money unfortunately. I long to be pain free but for the moment, all these things I take & do help the pain to be not as severe as it can be & help to get through the day. Daily & constant head pain is quite debilitating & hard to cope with day in & day out so anything that helps to reduce the severity of it is wonderful! Oh, I have just started taking these new vitamins called Sereni-T. They're for stress & anxiety. My mood has lifted & I'm actually a bit happier than I have been. They have green tea, fish oil, B vitamins & wild cherry in them. As tension is caused by stress, I'm hoping that my muscles will eventually totally relax again & my pain in my neck, shoulders & head will diminish. Also, I stretch my neck & shoulders when I first wake up & throughout the day so they don't tighten up too much which helps a bit. Hope these things I do will help u if u would like to try any of them?! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.