Health anxiety , need help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had anxiety and depression since I was a child, as well as bad health anxiety. The anxiety over my health is ruining my life. In the past year I have been absolutely convinced that I have had heart problems, blood cancer, breast cancer, and my most recent fear is pancreatic cancer and stomach cancer. For the past 3 months I have had pains in my stomach and some stool changes. My last Dr appointment the Dr said she thinks it is anxietybut I am still so scared . I am making another appointment to go back . The pains I have in my stomach come and go. I also have been having gerd symptoms. I am constantly googling my symptoms and it seems like I am adding to my list of symptoms daily. I don't know what to do anymore I am so scared. This is a terrible cycle for me. I will be convinced I have cancer and then the symptoms will go away or the Dr will say I'm fine. I relax for a short period of time and then some new symptom will appear and it starts all over again. I am at my wits end with this, I cry all the time and no longer enjoy things. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Dear kg

You say you have Gerd symptoms does that include heartburn and nausea? I have a small hiatas hernia and over time I have had inflammation in oesophagus (oesophagitis) I thought it was my heart and I have had gastitis (information of stomach linning) have you had a endoscopy? This would show up any problems there, I would ask for one. Gastitis would cauae pain in this area, I even had muscle spasms there at its worst

• Posted

Yes I get both. I have had two Dr's tell me I have gerd, but I will definitely ask for that test. Thank you.

• Posted

Stop googling stuff for one you are not a doctor. I was doing the same and i was just adding fear to my anxiety...

Has your dr. Referred you to go see a psychiatrist?

Start thinking positive and not negative its all in your mind, i know it is easier said than done as i have trouble with it sometimes

• Posted

I am feeling the same way! My pain is getting worse as I gain weight. I was told I most likely have stomach inflammation but I feel like it has to be stomach or pancreatic cancer. I am going to my doctor on Wednesday. When I lost weight in the past, the pain went away but it's at its worst. If I eat too much it really hurts! I am so scared! I cried for 2 hours this morning. I am a single mother of two kids so I freaked out about cancer thinking I am going to die and leave them alone. Anxiety is awful! I wish it would go away!

• Posted

Dear Claire

My symptoms always got worae when putting on weight, if you have hiatas hernia it will be more uncomfortable, I thought like you it was something really bad, I requested an endoscopy, have you had one of these? X

• Posted

I can totally relate to how you feel , I have two boys and I am so terrified of leaving them. It is hard enough being a single mother, but when you add anxiety on top of it, it can be so much harder. I think that is why my health anxiety has gotten so bad. I have always had GAD and sometimes I would worry about my health, but after I had kids it got so much worse. Now all I think about is being seriously ill and leaving them .
    • Posted

I am going to the doctor on Wednesday so I am going to ask. So you have a hiatal hernia? I read about that a few years ago but haven't read up on it.

• Posted

It is so hard. Idk what to do anymore. I cry all of the time thinking I am going to have to tell my boys I am leaving them. I just want to be ok and live a normal life
    • Posted

Yes Claire, I didn't know that I had one but I was getting alot of discomfort in the chest area and the reflux obviously was getting through what they call the splinter muscle and one time caused oesophagitis (inflammation of the oesophagus) then some time later it caused gastitis (I wa s getting alot of reflux in menopause) I do prop the top of my bed up with some wooden blocks as lying down the reflux can escape upwards and cause problems (especially with a hernia)

• Posted

I will say stress and worry made my symptoms worse, I know it's hard not to worry because I did, I didn't think it was anything but something nasty x

• Posted

I was put on Omeprezole for a while but tgen went on to Zantac (gastro restraint tablets) they reduce the acid in stomach. Avoiding like I said caffeine, alcohol, fatty spicy foods until it all healed, plus propping the bed up and not eating late. Both times it took a long time to really clear
    • Posted

I bet that is what my doctor will tell me. I lost weight before and I was fine. Obviously I changed my diet. That seems to be the cure for ukcers, hiatal hernia and gastritis. I take prilosec. It helps the heartburn but not the stomach inflammation
    • Posted

Yes I seem to suffer with gastric problems and they seem to take time to heal I hope you get it sorted x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.