Health Anxiety Running Wild

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I suffer from severe health anxiety and have recently started CBT. I realise anxiety can cause many physical anxiety symptoms but do you think it is possible to create psychsamatic symptoms of the illness you are terrified you have? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That all depends on which illness I am currently obsessing about. My big fear at the moment is MND. So now I am constantly checking my voice for signs and symptoms I have read about, for example voice sounding hoarse or raspy. I constantly look for signs of weakness in my limbs etc.... and of course the more I obsess, the more I am convinced I feel weakness! I know how rare MND is particularly under 40 but the facts and figures mean nothing once anxiety gets a grip. My godmother has had MND for 4 years now and has movement only of her eyes, it is such a cruel cruel illness. 
    • Posted

Hi Joanne, I also have a fear of MND. The thing is you would know if you had something like that. I get numbness down one side, headache, eye problems. The GP says it's a migraine/anxiety thing, but I convince myself it's something like MS. I have a neurology referral so hopefully that will put my mind at rest. I know exactly how you feel I live in fear, but it's just life! Anxiety does strange things to your body!x
    • Posted

Hi joanne i had a big fear of MND a few months back its awful to think you have such a dreadful disease, i too suffer from terrible health anxiety im only 20, to answer your question yes u can create your own physical symptomd just by being scared you have an illness i do it to myself all the tike, about a week ago i had a fear something was wrong with my heart i experienced chest tightness anf chestpain i was so sure i was going to have a heart artack, ive since calmed down and those symptoms have gone for now, it really is a debilitating condiotion and i would wish it on anyone, hope you soon get better x
    • Posted

You are so right. It is scary when you know a person or if you see a person on tv who has it and wants to die. We take it to heart because we are sensitive people.

About your chest pain, I have spoken to people who have been to A+E convinced they were having a heart attack. One guy told me that the doctor was not nice and said "go home. There is nothing wrong with you".

Like yourself, I wouldn't wish it on anyone either and you used the word I describe panic attacks with, debillitating.

• Posted

Hi Joanne- I also suffer from health anxiety. Recently I am feeling a bit better as I've gotten better at taking my mind off it. But I Google symptoms and as soon as I see a life threatening explaination im convinced I have it & I obsess over it constantly checking my symptoms! It's horrible as it makes me terrified even if doctors reassure me I still find some sort of reason to not believe them. But recently I've tried not to google every little symptom I have and to just leave it a couple or hours or days and I usually forget about it (as its probably caused by anxiety) and I move on with life- otherwise if I had googled I would probably be sitting worrying myself to death! I know it's easier said than done but try take your mind off it & get out and do activities as I would find that when I did all my symptoms would disappear reassuring me it was all down to my anxiety! Hope this helps x
  • Posted

Hi Joanne,..I also have anxiety issues...my throat actually tightens up and that seems to affect my sinuses which then become blocked,...which i cant understand...once an anxiety about something takes hold, it seems to be very hard to undo...Is CBT working for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.