Health Related Anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.  I'm new to this site.  I'm 32 years old.  Long story short, a little over a year ago I took predinsone because of a rash I had.  I had a severe reaction to the predinsone (on day 6) and my doctor took me off it immediately.  I had quite a few months of pure hell until all of the side effects, except one, finally went away.  The only thing that has held on since is the anxiety.  I've never really experience anxiety much before all of this happened and if I did, it must have been pretty minimal as I don't have any memories of struggling with it.  

Anyway, I struggle everyday now with severe anxiety over health related concerns.  I'm always self diagnosising myself with cancer or some other life threatening things.  I can't seem to get a handle on it.  I'm scared out of my mind to take any medications for anxiety as it was a medication that got me into this mess in the first place.  I don't know how to cope with this.  I'm constantly in fear of dieing and leaving my three young kids (one special needs) and my husband all alone.  I just want to be done with this stuff.  I'm exhausted.  I'm feeling fatigued all of the time, sometimes lightheaded, headaches, bowel issues and I could probably go on and on.  Are these things normal to dealing with anxiety?  How do people cope with this stuff.  I'm very much a people person and I find myself trapped in my own house out of fear of something serious happening to me with my kids in tow while I'm out and about.

Someone help.  Someone tell me what i can do to fix this.  Someone tell me that everythign is going to be ok and that I'm not alone!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi firstly you are not alone! I suffer with health anxiety to and I know how hard it is!

I have four children so I also know how hard it is to try and carry on with everyday life when all you want to do is sleep and forget about everything.

Have you tried Cbt therapy?

• Posted

I have never heard of Cbt therapy.  What is it?
    • Posted

It's a form of therapy which explains all about anxiety it's thought process, symptoms, triggers and our behaviour towards it and allows you to tackle it on a very small step basis.
    • Posted

ok, thanks.  I'll have to look into that.  We live in a very rural community in the middle of nowhere so I'm guessing I can't get that therapy around here but I'll sure look.
  • Posted

Have you been seen by an endocrinologist.. Maybe the predisone did something to your hormones. Steriods can mess around with them. See what endocrinologist feels about all this. If it turms out to be panic attacks and you need a little medicine temporarily might as well give it go it wont be as worse as what you are doing now.
    • Posted

No I haven't seen an endocrinologist. I'll look into that right away. I have felt like my hormones have been way off and not normal since taking the prednisone. Thanks for the advice, I greatly appreciate it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.