Heart Failure

Posted , 2 users are following.

My mum has been diagnosed with heart failure, she's 90 yrs old, just home from hospital. I've been given no advice whatsoever on prognosis or special care for her, can anyone advise?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello jemma12213,

Firstly, congrats to your Mum for reaching her current age without Heart Failure problems. Here is a reference for you that lays out the fact regarding Heart failure:-  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_failure.

You will see from this that current life expectation used to be about 6 years max. from time of onset. However we live in a changing world with new treatments and medications coming through all the while. I am nearly at the end of my sixth year and still enjoy life. Good luck to you both and enjoy every day.

• Posted

Hi 68survivor, Thank u, i've done some research on it, but i feel mum's changed on the digoxin. She's sleeping all day and isn't very alert, Could it be the dose is too high? She also has Dementia. Until she started this medication, she only dosed a wee while in the afternoons.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with heart failure 3 years ago (age is 65). Along with medication an some gentle exercise he fully will live to the same age as your mum.  Yes the keep adjusting th medication and am having the time of my life. 

So take heart life is not bad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.