Heart failure - implanted defribrillator

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have idiopathic cardiomyopathy. No established cause, and no bad habits! Despite meds. I get runs of really fast heartbeats then pauses (which I can hear with my stethoscope) and my doctor is worried about Vtach and VFib coming on.

Have been recommended an implanted defribrillator. Anyone got experience of one of these. I'm very scared...

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I had a Medtronic CRT-D fitted 5 years ago last Feb. It is now due for replacement next month as battery is running down. I was lucky someone was around originally in 2010 to give me lifesaving external heart massage followed by cardioversion in hospital. This little box has successfully done its job in saving me from the effects of arrhythmias over the years. Long may the next one continue with that task. The implant procedure was short and simple and I was fully conscious the whole time. I am monitored weekly via a beside wireless monitor that communicates and downloads my info. to my Cardiology Depts. server. This is backed up by 6 monthly Clinic visits. All the best with your situation.
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for the encouragement and reassurance. My doctor said the ICD implantation was under GA or sedation, and I'm scared about both, mostly GA. I need it though, as you have said, it stops the rhythms that could kill you...I'll call my cardiologist in the morning and get booked in for it.

• Posted

Hi 68survivor

My husband had his CRT-D device fitted on the 18th of May 2016, He was at EF 10% before it was fitted. His records at discharge showed EF 19%. He was really sick at admission and counld barely walk. Now 11 days later, he climbing 2 flights of stairs and walking more than 10 mins without stress. I am overly grateful to the CRT-D device and he says he feels like the only thing wrong with him now is his  lack of strength which he swears is also disappearing daily. 

when the device was being put in, one of the wires absolutely refused to click into place and so instead of 3 wires, he now has only the one for the shock and the one for the bottom part of his heart in place, They said his heart was too swollen and there was just no room to manuevre around it to fit the wire. 

Still my husband looks and says he feels much better. He was put on medications and was told he would be fine. 

I am very happy to find someone who has had the device for 5 years without a problem and am very glad I searched this site.

Kindly be more helpful please by telling me how things have been for you these past 5 years. 

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.