Heart 'palpitations', rapid beating/thumping. Had this occasionally since aged 12, now 55 years old

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had these 'attacks' for want of a better word since aged 12 or 13, They happen occasionally, sometimes with very long periods in between, a year or so at times, usually several months gaps. 

It is like my heart suddenly goes ballistic, really fast, powerful beating, you can see my chest and skin reverberating and pulsing with the strength of them. Because of the 'rush' of blood, that's how it seems to me, it can cause momentary light-headedness, one a few odd occasions even nearly fainting.

I have never actually blacked out, except for one time as a16 year old I almost did on a football pitch during a game once. I had one last summer when I also felt a bit nauseous, but I can't recall that ever happening before. Yesterday, I had an onset, and this lasted over and hour and a half, by far and away the longest this has ever been, although it was not as intense in it's strength as it has been with the other ones, usually they last a few minutes, though I have had some go on for 15/20 minutes in the past.

I have had ECG while in the RNavy in my 20's and again when I came out in my early 30's, nothing detected, then again, why would it? The ECG was done while I was perfectly fine!

I have always been sporty and active, I have a reputation for my endurance and hard-working nature at football and other activities, I go to the bottom of the tank and give my all. I have done endurance and assault course. cross-country endurance stuff and in the RN they would push you to your physical limits. I did Royal Navy Field Gun training. I have been very fit in my life and I am still in good shape now. I work hard still, as a self-employed mobile private gardener.

So, this 'condition' has not disrupted of affected me or hindered me on that score, and aside from that one time as a 26 year old during a game, have never suffered this even at the most excruciating physical activities of the countless occasions I have been there! It mystifies me, to be honest!

I am going to se my GP when I can get a chance, getting appointments down here is like trying to crack the combination of a high security bank vault sometimes! I won't go into detail with that, I'm sure I am not the only one to experience that with our modern NHS and GP practices, they all seem under so much pressure! They tell you to call between 8-9 in the morning, then it's always engaged (oh really? I wonder why?!) Then I go down there and there is like one person in reception! I ask to have an appointment, but can't get one for that day, I don't mind, but it's like the Krypton Factor and Mastermind combined trying to work through it! Lol!

I said I wouldn't go into detail! I will keep trying with them however, it looks like I have no choice.

Anything from anyone on here would be useful and most appreciated. Thanks

Terry

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I meant to write 'that one time as a 16 year old during a game' - typo, sorry
  • Posted

Hey Terry, I'm obviously no doctor but it sounds like bouts of Anxiety. I am a 60 year old male that has also been physically active my entire life.

My anxiety about 10 years ago Finally turned into full blown panic attacks.

Sometimes for no apparent reason my heart will race like I'm on speed, then if I don't settle down and try to relax, it consumes me and I feel as if I'm struggling to breath. At that point I start start to hyperventilate and become light headed and dizzy.

I have never experienced nausea but becoming dizzy can cause it.

The first time I had a panic attack I actually thought I was dieing. I was driving in a big city with a buddy. I finally pulled over and he asked what was wrong and I just told him I was feeling bad. I never told him it was a panic attack.

I'm in no way saying your rapid heart rate is a panic attack, but it for sure the way you describe the light headiness and feint feelings, sounds just like what has been happening to me for years.

I never personally experience those feelings by myself or with anyone that knows I experience it.

I know my anxiety attacks are psychological, however once I get in a certain situation and start to get them on my mind, here they come.

I guess instead of me rambling on it just sounds like Anxiety to me, but regardless it can be very real and scary.

Good luck my friend!!

• Posted

Thank you so much, Kenny. I appreciate the time you devoted to answer my query and you have reassured me that I have no real 'condition' of my heart. I think I have always thought I didn't, I'm obviously not 100% sure still as it is scary when it happens. But it's been happening for so long now that I guess I'd have had a heart attack or some disease diagnosis long ago!

But your comments are really appreciated and I'm grateful to you.

Good luck to you too and best wishes.

• Posted

Investigations into rare ecg events can't be done when the episodes occur so infrequenty. They may have to be observed with an ecg under a 'stress' test which has been recommended by the doctor for another Patient blogger.
  • Posted

Sounds familiar when I was 18 on my way to work my heart was racing so fast I went to the Emergency room. All I remember is that they were gonna have a consult but they just told me I have an athletes heart and over the years I've been having fast heartbeat somtims thumping heartbeat fast forward 30 years now I have an abnormal Ekg slight chess pain sometimes just had a stress tes then rrefto see a cardiologist mean ills today I thought my heart was gonna jump out of my chest beating so fast and hurting at same time took my breath away. It finally calm down. Now tonight fast heartbeat feeling sick can't sleep tv on now deep breathing is calming my heart down while I type keeping my mind off my heart cause if I stop typing heart starts racing. Forgive the bad spelling but a big box keeps covering my screen while I type

• Posted

Also 8 years ago I was n hospital with a blood clot n my leg and several times a day the nurses would com Rush I got into my room asking me if I'm ok my heart just starts racing for no reason. So the had me see cardiologist who said I have an irregular heart beat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.