Heart rate down to 35 (or less) after a spray of nitroglycerin. Is that unusual?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi

I'm 44 and have been experiencing centre to left chest pain for the past four and a half weeks. They started one evening and have gradually got worse. They now normally radiate to my upper back and down my left arm. I'm also getting abdominal and hip pain that may or not be related. I've been on Omeprazole on and off for the past year for abdominal pain that may or may not be related. The pains gradually seem to get worse through the day and are generally worse between 8-12 pm.

Last Saturday night was the worse they've been. I called an ambulance and the paramedics said my ECG was slightly different to the one on record. They gave me a large aspirin and a spray of nitroglycerin. It's was the strongest hit from a drug I've ever had, I felt dizzy, nauseous and couldn't stand up. When they got me in the ambulance they said my blood pressure was very low and my heart rate was 35, they'd never seen that response before. I'm assuming my heart rate might have been even lower when the TNG was having it's big effect on me. My question is, as I don't know what's causing my daily chest pains, does a large drop in heart rate in response to TNG suggest anything? Or is it actually not that unusual. Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tomatom,

What you experienced is pretty well normal if you are a first time user of GTN, I'm not 100 % sure about the slow heart rate though, that's a question for your cardiologist. GTN is designed to open up the vessels and arteries to the heart.

Pharmacists usually warn you of the side effects when they dispense this medication, low blood pressure,headache, nausea, dizziness, etc etc . if you are a first time user of this medication and you experience one or most of the side effects they usually dis appear after a week or 2 if you have to use it often. believe it or not GTN is also used to treat reflux as well, not very common now but it is still used for reflux, especially Esophageal spasms.

Did the doctors tell you what they thought maybe wrong if your ECG was not normal ? I also have a slow heart beat even without the GTN, it's normal in a lot of people, but it can mean something is wrong if not investigated.

• Posted

First time of GTN, and hopefully the last. It was the strongest reaction to a drug I've ever had in my life. Doctors said took a chest x-ray and said that and the ECG was fine and discharged me. Hopefully it's not a heart related issue.

• Posted

It's should come back up Nitro makes it go down I've had that happen and they gave me a shot of epinephrine which is painful I hope they figure it out very scary heart problems that don't require surgery to fix them just make you go crazy right now my blood pressure is 176 over 94 and that's after I took extra blood pressure medicine it's in the middle of the night and 30 degrees I don't want to go to the hospital we are in trouble a little bit I hope we both get better much love from another heart patient?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.