Heart Related or Not??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

I've been having chest pain for 24 days now that occurs everyday all day long. It is persistent but not constant, basically it comes and goes throughout the day and doesn't seem to want to stop. It usually occurs in the chest, particularly around the ribs but anywhere in the chest area, and recently I've felt the same sort of achy pain in my arms and fingers. But this only seems to be localized not diffused or spreads in a large areas.

The pain isn't very painful and is fleeting, so it only lasts a few seconds and doesn't seem to be triggered by anything at all, in fact I can easily run, walk and exercise as a healthy person would without setting the pain off in a worser way.

I've been to my Dr three times about my chest pain now, he says its not heart related especially since I don't experience palpitations and considering my age (19) but I did use to smoke and only just took up regular exercising on a daily basis...

I'm worried it might be heart disease, but my Dr doesnt seem convinced, tho it'd be really useful to have someone's opinion/ advice on this... If nothing changes by next month I'm going to the doctors again and demanding a ECG scan, this is getting to stressful for me

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Could be heartburn, try off the counter medicine as a first point of call and see if how you go in parallel to seeking doctors appointments
    • Posted

Thankyou so much

My Dr originally did tell me it was acid reflux (heartburn) but I wasn't sure after feeling arm pain as a new symptom as it usually means angina

• Posted

It could be but I'd be surprised as you mention it is relatively low pain, but long in duration and if you're your age..... if you have normal blood pressure and normal cholesterol... there's a VERY slim chance you have angina.

But I'd try what the doctor says and rule one thing out at a time.

Also heartburn can cause the arm pain you mention

• Posted

That's good news, I didnt know arm pain was associated with heartburn. My blood pressure is normal and so is my cholesterol, and the pain doesn't last long it just occurs quite often but is very low and non bothersome, just worrying. I'll try the antacids and other medicines that should help heartburn and see how I go but again thank you

• Posted

Hi,

How long ago did you give up smoking ? Believe it or not it could be several things due to giving up.......reflux and stress related issues from not smoking anymore. I don't know how this works but when people smoke a lot hardly ever experience reflux, also  people that smoke and  get breathless during angina attack or even after exercising the light up, once again I don't know how this works or even why....a doctor did explain to me about the smoking and breathlessnes, something to do with when we are over breathing or hyperventilating the body converts that yukky smoke into something opposite to monixide to dioxide, I think that was it from memory the dioxide helps catch the breath back..... but obviously still not a good idea to smoke

Another thing you aren't all of a sudden intolerent to dairy - lactose, gluten etc etc , these can happen out of the blue , because your gut isn't coping it can give off similar symptoms to angina, I have never experienced this personally but my partner has a gut problem that no one can seem to find what's wrong, At first they thought it was IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) I also know several other people that have all of a sudden developed these intolerences and the pain.....Just a thought

You can be any age to get heart problems, well any condition really, if you aren't happy with your current doctor or you have doubts.....seek a second opinion. I would of thought it routine for your doctor to do an ECG / EKG  in the first instance.

Goodluck.

• Posted

Well I gave up smoking just over a month ago on January 6 so it's been 44 days since my last smoke, interestingly I didn't have these problems when I was smoking and I wasnt a heavy smoker but I was addicted. I gave up because I was beginning to cough a lot and was worried but about 2 weeks after persistent coughing it finally settled down, after coughing up abit of tar here and there, but then the chest pains set in.

I don't seem to have trouble breathing or getting breathless, but I do wake up a lot every night although I'm never in pain or out of breath when this happens, I'm just suddenly awake and this can happen 1-3 times a night, along with a lot of vivid dreams. I don't have trouble getting to sleep but I always seem to wake up now, so I thought I was suffering insomnia but I'm starting to think abut sleep apnea.... But again, I'm never seeming to be out of breath or have any difficulty breathing.

I've thought of a second opioin but my Dr is a bad one, so I'll give him another chance as long as I get a test, but first I'll try using something like antacids to see if its my stomach which was tender when my Dr examined me last and told me its probably reflux. I just got worried when I suddenly got arm, hand and finger pain. Which I should mention doesn't run down my arm like its spreading, like the chest pain it just affects one spot at a time then disappears very quickly and hits another spot.

I know it could be heart trouble even tho I'm young, that's why I'm so worried... Its just I don't want to have a heart attack before someone like my doctor realizes that. By then its abit too late so its a nervous world I'm living in.

• Posted

Hi,

So when you wake up your'e not "gasping" for air ? not that has to be a concise indication of sleep apnea, many things contribute to sleep apnea.

It's natural to feel apprehensive when strange things happen to our bodies. Because I have been diagnosed with prinzmetal angina and that can be very debilitating when severe attacks occur but before I was diagnosed with that they were of the opinion there  was nothing wrong with my heart as well til one day I was taken to hospital with my normal chest pain, they did an ECG /EKG ...came back fine, did the troponin blood tests and shoved me out into the waiting room until my results came back, well here's what changed there attitude towards me, about 45 minutes later my blood test result came back and a doctor and a nurse came out into the emergency departments waiting room with a wheel chair, I asked what was going on, the doctor told me when we got to a bed, she said that I have had a heart attack, I was 46 at the time and I had another one the following year. Also at the age of 46 I was also diagnosed with mild to moderate coronary heart disease, I had another angiogram last Feb (2016) and they had found another baby blockage 50 % in the LAD. The newer emergency doctors have got the same slap happy kind of attitude to the doctors previously before I had my heart attacks, They know I have prinzmetal angina and that there is nothing they can do for that except relieve the pain and do a troponin test to make sure I haven't had another heart attack, they called mine an NSTEMI as it isn't picked up on an ECG.

A bit of humor hopefully to cheer you up anddivert your way of thinking smile

We are here for a good time not a long time, that's the old saying isn't it.

I would just go and get a second opinion if it is really worrying you, you current doctor doesn't have to know that you seeked a second opinion, after all it is our right to seek a second opinion.

• Posted

No I've never woke up gasping for air, actually only last night did I realize I wake up slowly, aware I'm awake before my eyes open so I'm very content when I wake up but its still pretty odd. No pain seems to contribute to my awakenings either I just gain consciousness after every vivid dream I have, is that normal?

I didn't realize you had angina, but I'm glad to see that your able to still find joy in life with it. Next time I go into the doctors I'll be sure to get a ECG and a blood test for safe measures but if its understandable I'm really hoping I don't have angina.. It just seems unfair since I'm young and all my friends still smoke, I thought I'd done something great by quitting but clearly I'm the unlucky one who probably has to deal with this for life. But even if I had CAD or a heart problem at least I'd know what I'm dealing with, fear of the unknown is the worse kinda fear and after all.. Knowing is half the battle right? I just want to be sure its not my heart but my Dr is pretty convinced that my hearts fine, although this was before the arm/ hand pain so next time I'm sure he will test me, if not I'll get that second opioin.

Thanks for your comments Samuel you've been a good help and I'll be sure to update my next doctors visit and let you know how things go. But can I ask what were the early symptoms for your condition like? Where they similar to mine or did they all start as you put it 'severe attacks' ? My attacks seem to be dull and achy with no sharpness... Although I did feel a sharp pain once due to deep breaths but it could of been cigarette tar lodged in my respiratory track as I coughed up tar a few hours after the experience. Has never happened again.

• Posted

I should also mention that I've found that I get very noticeable relief from ibuprofen but haven't used it since I was told it was acid reflux... I know that ibuprofen wouldn't help heart conditions but for some reason it helped with my pain so I might try it again to see if it still does. Couldn't hurt.

• Posted

Hi jaidyn,

My first symptoms for me when I first had troubles with chest pain was central heaviness or crushing in centre of chest, breathlessness, ocassionally nausea and a cold sweat every now and then, very concerning, as it would be for anyone, Doctor couldn't find anything wrong and was referred on to a cardiologist who then did an array of tests and even a couple of angiograms over the years, results for the angiogram were my coronary arteries were in pristine condition, although my cardiologist had told me what he thought was going on, he explained to me that there are blood vessels in the heart everywhere, apparently you can't see them not even via an angigram, he said that those small blood vessels were going into spasms and nothing could be done other than to use a medication that you spray under the tongue, Nitro Lingual pump spray other wise known as GTN and also put onto a heap of other medications to try and stop these spasms, this was when I was around 30 + years of age, as the years went on it got worse, more frequent attacks, the pains were radiating into my left shoulder and down my left arm also every now and then into my back,jaw and teeth.

Only just this year my symptoms have started in the reverse, for example I started to get pain in my left shoulder , arm and jaw then about 15 - 20 minutes later I would get chest pain, this confused me because it was in reverse order this time so I had a good chat with the emergency doctor and he informed me that angina pain doesn't always have to start in the chest, it can start in the back, shoulder, arm or jaw before any chest pain can be felt so I learnt something new about angina attacks, bit worrysome but that's life I suppose smile . Also the last 6- 8 weeks I have been getting a lot more what I call flip flops, if you can picture a balloon being blown up and then holding the end of it with your fingers to keep the air in the balloon then all of a sudden release your fingers from the balloon and watch the balloon do all of it's twisting, somersaults and zig zags while the air is escaping that's how I can best describe these flip flop feelings and when it slows down is when more pain is released, no one can give me a definite answer to what it could be only their own theories of what they think it could be and each doctors opinion is different. I'ts been the last 8 years that my attacks have become severe, cold weather , emotional stress, extreme heat and even a puff of wind in the face can set it off, it nearly always comes on at rest, I can be watching TV, reading, internet browsing and even sleeping when it occurs, sometimes physical activities can set it off but it's near always at rest, I have a weird cholesterol / lipids profile and that's when another cardiologist agreed with an emergency doctors diagnosis of prinzmetal angina, they finally put a name to it around 8 years ago.

None of my angina chest pain have been dull or sharp or stabbing. I have felt dizzy, felt like passing out with quite a few of the attacks.

I was told to give up the smoking myself, I did for a bit but ended back on them and now trying to quit again, it's so hard due to the addictiveness, especially 35+ years of smoking. I'm actually afraid to give up smoking because a few friends of mine had given up and 3 - 6 months later have had either a  massive or mild heart attack, the doctors have assured me that that's not possible or giving up wouldn't contribute to heart attacks, I'm a believer of "never say never " no one can 100 % guarentee that anything could contribute to something.

• Posted

Hi Samuel

Well, my problem doesn't seem to be the same as yours... I have a habit to jump to conclusions but maybe quitting smoking for me has put my body under a tremondous amount of strain. That might sound farfetched but I definently don't feel any of the symptoms you described including the central chest pain or crushing pain. My pain is dull and always local as if someone keeps poking my insides with one finger, it has never felt severe. I get most of the pain in my chest in the lower ribs, I've never actually felt pain where my heart is located.

Ive found that gallstones, Gerd and even costocondris can cause pain in the arms and hands, but this is rare.

For now it seems I don't have any real triggers for the pain. It just comes out of the blue, either at rest or if I'm doing something but moving helps and physical activity doesn't set it off or make it worse. It tends settles in the afternoon/evening so there are few factors that suggest my heart but a few that don't.

I hope your pain sorts itself and settles down

• Posted

Hello all, just thought I'd make another quick report on my condition

In the last 2-3 days I've noticed the aches ease up alot.. Even though I haven't taken any medication or found a source of relief.

The pain or slight aches seem to prefer the left side, especially the left hand. But I've felt pain in my right side too, including in my stomach and sides of my waist, roughly one spot at a time. This dull achy pain only lasts a few seconds to maybe at its longest abit past a minute and could nearly say it is felt as if it was coming from my viens.

This is all still worrying and nervously I still question heart problems however without any other symptoms besides random body aches I'm unsure and because it seems to be settling down I now I have doubt, especially since I rarely experience chest pain now. Its more arm, hand and waist/stomach pain ... Anyone's ideas are still highly welcome but I have abit more hope its non-cardiac now than I did before.

• Posted

Hi,

Actually as I found out 2 weeks ago, angina doesn't have to start in the chest, see I started experiencing heaviness in my left shoulder, left arm and tingling in hand and an ache in left side of jaw yet no chest pain at that time, so I ignored it even though it was hurting like buggery, I didn't give it another thought that it was my angina because it started in reverse, the chest pain arrieved 30 -40 minutes later and I couldn't get rid of the spasms so ended up in emergency. I asked the doctor about this what I called "reversed symptoms " he said No angina pain doesn't have to start off in the chest, it can start just as I described to them that day.

Has fibromyalgia ever been mentioned to you, neuropathic pain or any gut realated issues like irritable bowel syndrome ? etc etc

• Posted

I don't want to come accross rude but are you male of female ? the reason I ask women can feel heart problems in a different way at times, I only clicked onto this when I re read some of your comments, especially the one about like being poked with a hot finger ? something similar to that and a couple of other symptoms indicate possible heart problems.

• Posted

Well I've heard of fibromylagia but I'm unsure what to expect of that, what I mean is I don't know what the pain would be described as. It has crossed my mind though. I've never had IBS and don't seem to.

I should of noted this but I'm a 19 year old male, I'm not overweight (very much the opposite) and I've never had any health conditions until ironically now that I've quit smoking. But I quit 7 weeks ago so im sure that's unrelated.

Although I was a lazy smoker until my quit erged me to be more active and walk daily, but I'm not unable to go for a long walk.

The place I felt the achy pain was in my left thumb, it sudden but only lasts a few seconds. It doesn't seem to go back to the chest alot but today I've felt it in my left hand and thumb, my right hand, my lower ribs (left side) and my right leg... Which is new but I can't be sure if its related anymore, it was in my calf when this happened.

I'm aware women can feel angina as fleeting pain and some people can even feel it as a dull ache but I've read it persists for 30 mins or longer.. That's never happened to me yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.